21 April 2006
Aberaeron... was nice, ended on a sour note..:(
I got up feeling very low again today. When I'm in that sort of mood, I have to go out somewhere, and as it was warm and a bit of blue sky here and there, decided on Aberaeron. I haven't been there for months. On reflection, although it was great, it isn't the cleverest decision of my life to go there when I'm down. It holds so many memories for me of happy times with Barry, when he had his boat, and we used to go out into the bay and fish or look for dolphins, or we went in the cafe and had breakfast after having got up early and gone to the car boot at Pennant on a Sunday. It always hits it home to me there for some reason, more than a lot of other places I go where we used to go together. Everyone there is always in couples or families and I feel I stick out like a sore thumb on my own. But anyhow, I made the best of it, Emma had a nice time as usual, straight in the sea, which was like a millpond today. The weather up there was fantastic, walking round in a t-shirt for the first time this year. I had to carry my jacket though, because my phone and camera were in the pockets. Perhaps I will have to get a bag, I bloody hate carrying bags though, drive me barmy, I couldn't be arsed to carry a hand bag, and the shoulder ones always fall off my shoulder, but I can't carry a coat all summer if I want to take a few pictures.
Anyhow to anyone who has never been to Aberaeron, it is well worth a visit, it is a beautiful seaside town, with Georgian houses fronting the harbour, lots of nice touristy shops, and a few good chippies. And the Hive on The Quay does ice creams to die for - they have a hint of honey in them, and are the most delicious ice creams ever to hit the inside of my mouth (and Emma's) I resisted the temptation to buy chips today, as I'm trying to lose a bit of weight again before it gets out of hand, I have put on about 6lbs this year, and it won't do. We stopped and chatted to a family who had two dogs like Emma, both pups 5 and 6 months old, and so cute. Emma was thrilled as she did get a chip, the little boy asked first if he could give her one, which I thought was very nice, lovely family from Birmingham down on holiday. At last they had some nice weather.
Anyway, we had a long walk from the far beach car park, all round the harbour, across the footbridge to the ice cream shop and back.
The day has been marred because on my way home, someone had hit and killed a lamb, a poor tiny little lamb no more than a couple of weeks old. Okay, accidents happen, and they do have a way of getting through tiny gaps in fences, and inevitably, some get hit. But what pisses me right off is how they can just drive on and leave it laying there in the bloody road! So that the next car that comes along either has to swerve round it, or squash it flat. I pulled over, there was a pull-in right where it had been hit, and I got out and picked the poor thing up and put it in the gateway about 5 yards further along. I wasn't even sure it was dead to be honest, it was still warm, eyes open, but it had a terrible wound underneath, had been hit round the back end. I got blood all over my hands, but things like that don't bother me. I just can't understand how people can be so insensitive that they just drive on when they have hit something in their cars, how could they?? Would they do the same if it were a child I wonder?? Because to me, it is equally as important, and how did they know it was dead? It could have been laying there in agony. I'm glad I didn't see it happen because I would have had an almighty row with whoever did it and got into a lot of bother. I drove along the road a bit, there is a farm shop selling produce, and asked if they knew who owned the sheep. The guy there knew who the landowner is, but they rent the field out, but he promised to get in touch with someone. I could do no more.
Got home and found that I'd at least done the right thing by going up that way, it had rained here, typical.
I may write some more later, not sure. Although I sort of had a nice day, I still feel very fed up with life, the antidepressants aren't doing a lot yet, if anything, I would still much rather just stay in bed and sleep my life away, and not have to worry about anything any more, or get hurt by things. See how my mood is later. Lots of things I'd like to see on tv tonight too so maybe that will be a bit of escapism.
The inner harbour showing some of the Georgian houses
A couple of Pete's favourite birds, having a snooze

Taken from the other side of the harbour
The harbour slipway, people just launching a dingy, Georgian houses across the otherside of the quay
Emma having a paddle
Emma's had a paddle....
Taken from the coast path, NewQuay is around the coast behind that bit sticking out!
Part of the inner harbour
The harbour
Anyhow to anyone who has never been to Aberaeron, it is well worth a visit, it is a beautiful seaside town, with Georgian houses fronting the harbour, lots of nice touristy shops, and a few good chippies. And the Hive on The Quay does ice creams to die for - they have a hint of honey in them, and are the most delicious ice creams ever to hit the inside of my mouth (and Emma's) I resisted the temptation to buy chips today, as I'm trying to lose a bit of weight again before it gets out of hand, I have put on about 6lbs this year, and it won't do. We stopped and chatted to a family who had two dogs like Emma, both pups 5 and 6 months old, and so cute. Emma was thrilled as she did get a chip, the little boy asked first if he could give her one, which I thought was very nice, lovely family from Birmingham down on holiday. At last they had some nice weather.
Anyway, we had a long walk from the far beach car park, all round the harbour, across the footbridge to the ice cream shop and back.
The day has been marred because on my way home, someone had hit and killed a lamb, a poor tiny little lamb no more than a couple of weeks old. Okay, accidents happen, and they do have a way of getting through tiny gaps in fences, and inevitably, some get hit. But what pisses me right off is how they can just drive on and leave it laying there in the bloody road! So that the next car that comes along either has to swerve round it, or squash it flat. I pulled over, there was a pull-in right where it had been hit, and I got out and picked the poor thing up and put it in the gateway about 5 yards further along. I wasn't even sure it was dead to be honest, it was still warm, eyes open, but it had a terrible wound underneath, had been hit round the back end. I got blood all over my hands, but things like that don't bother me. I just can't understand how people can be so insensitive that they just drive on when they have hit something in their cars, how could they?? Would they do the same if it were a child I wonder?? Because to me, it is equally as important, and how did they know it was dead? It could have been laying there in agony. I'm glad I didn't see it happen because I would have had an almighty row with whoever did it and got into a lot of bother. I drove along the road a bit, there is a farm shop selling produce, and asked if they knew who owned the sheep. The guy there knew who the landowner is, but they rent the field out, but he promised to get in touch with someone. I could do no more.
Got home and found that I'd at least done the right thing by going up that way, it had rained here, typical.
I may write some more later, not sure. Although I sort of had a nice day, I still feel very fed up with life, the antidepressants aren't doing a lot yet, if anything, I would still much rather just stay in bed and sleep my life away, and not have to worry about anything any more, or get hurt by things. See how my mood is later. Lots of things I'd like to see on tv tonight too so maybe that will be a bit of escapism.
The inner harbour showing some of the Georgian houses
A couple of Pete's favourite birds, having a snooze
Taken from the other side of the harbour
The harbour slipway, people just launching a dingy, Georgian houses across the otherside of the quay
Emma having a paddle
Emma's had a paddle....
Taken from the coast path, NewQuay is around the coast behind that bit sticking out!
Part of the inner harbour
The harbour
Comments:
<< Home
Jan it does look a lovely place..I must visit wales again (if I can find a hog sitter). Some superb coastal walks around there. Sad about the lamb, maybe who ever hit it couldnt face moving it, or maybe as you said they just didnt care..who knows. You were so good to stop and move it though, am sure it would have died from the shock and hope it was painless.
Yeah the pills can take some time to kick in, but if you can keep getting up and getting out all the better..I know its a struggle and well sometimes you want to just hide away from it all, until the black clouds have lifted..they will mate trust me just takes some time.
Yeah memories aint they a kick in the head! I do try now thought to look on them like im am honoured to have them, ok it doesnt always play like that in my head, but worth a go...
Hey tomorrow is a new day, and you never know what that may bring xxx
Yeah the pills can take some time to kick in, but if you can keep getting up and getting out all the better..I know its a struggle and well sometimes you want to just hide away from it all, until the black clouds have lifted..they will mate trust me just takes some time.
Yeah memories aint they a kick in the head! I do try now thought to look on them like im am honoured to have them, ok it doesnt always play like that in my head, but worth a go...
Hey tomorrow is a new day, and you never know what that may bring xxx
Jan, Hubby and I spent a lovely week there, it is a beautiful place. The pics are great too, loved the one of Emma in the sea. Phoebe runs a mile from water of any sort!
As Nic said, the pills do take a while to kick in (about 2 weeks I believe) do persevere with them, they will help. You are also doing the right thing by getting out and about. Whenever I was down I used to go to the coppice up the road from me. It is so peaceful there and plenty of birds. I can't do that so much now because of hubby, but I try to persuade him to accompany me as often as I can. He enjoys it too when we get there.
I'm a fine one to talk about not letting things get to you, but no one ever takes their own advice do they?
Chin up dear!
As Nic said, the pills do take a while to kick in (about 2 weeks I believe) do persevere with them, they will help. You are also doing the right thing by getting out and about. Whenever I was down I used to go to the coppice up the road from me. It is so peaceful there and plenty of birds. I can't do that so much now because of hubby, but I try to persuade him to accompany me as often as I can. He enjoys it too when we get there.
I'm a fine one to talk about not letting things get to you, but no one ever takes their own advice do they?
Chin up dear!
you v taken some lovely pictures Jan, I know the place well, been there many times, and used to sell my pics in one of the craft shops there, and then the people bought a shop in Carmarthen, so they had my work there as well, very nice people.
Sad about the lamb, Im the same, if I see something on the road, I have to stop incase there maybe something I can do, but it s alway s upsetting, hope your feeling better soon.
Sad about the lamb, Im the same, if I see something on the road, I have to stop incase there maybe something I can do, but it s alway s upsetting, hope your feeling better soon.
Thanks everyone for your lovely reassuring comments. It really helps to know that others either have experienced something of what I'm going through, or if not, at least sympathetic. Really appreciated.
Can I be really nosy and ask what kind of antidepressants you're taking? For two reasons really, first I study psychology and the whole drug thing interests me, second I run a self-help group for depression/anxiety, and it's useful for me to know what's being prescribed to people and how well people think the meds work.
I've taken lofepramine (didn't work), amitryptiline (similar) and citalopram (which did help a bit). I've been off meds for about 18 months or so now, but just recently started on low dose amitryptiline again to help me sleep. I haven't decided if it works or not yet.
I keep thinking we should have our own online therapy group!
Such a shame about that poor lamb. :(
Post a Comment
I've taken lofepramine (didn't work), amitryptiline (similar) and citalopram (which did help a bit). I've been off meds for about 18 months or so now, but just recently started on low dose amitryptiline again to help me sleep. I haven't decided if it works or not yet.
I keep thinking we should have our own online therapy group!
Such a shame about that poor lamb. :(
<< Home
