18 April 2006
Back to normal weather then....
I'm in the mood for a moan. Main reason being the weather is back to the norm for Wales. According to the two main online weather forecasts I read (BBC and Yahoo) for my area today, it was sunshine/light showers. It's been pissing down since 10 oclock now. Sometimes very heavily, sometimes the light bit. Why, in this day and age with all the satellite technology and stuff they have, can't they get it a bit more precise? The other great thing that really gets up my nose is that BBC and Yahoo normally have completely opposite forecasts - BBC will show an unbroken sunshine symbol, highs of 20c lows 10c, and Yahoo will probably show rain, high 15c low 3c? WTF! How can they get it so different, when presumably they are looking at the same satellite pictures or whatever it is they study? I honestly don't know why I even look, it is only something else to wind me up.
Next moan, somewhere across the back they are using a compressor or something that sounds like a sodding helicopter taking off. I wondered what the hell the noise was earlier, started at 8.30 this morning, heard clearly through my double glazing. This is coinciding with a chain saw being used, so presumably connected in some way. I hope they aren't ripping out more trees and hedging, I thought it was illegal when birds are nesting. The council came round here in November last year, and asked if I would be in agreement with the trees along my boundary be chopped to make a laid down hedge, the person who was renting the field from the owner and the council would go 50/50 on this. I agreed as it will be nice to have some sun in the garden this summer. I only get sun in May and June when it's at its highest going across, the rest of the year it isn't up enough to go above all the trees. Also I am sick of all the leaves that come off. There is nothing I find more tedious than raking leaves, apart from the fact it kills my back. There would still be one or two that are in my side of the garden which wouldn't be affected, the holly bush for a start, but it would be great to get rid of that 30ft high oak tree which is the worst culprit. But anyway, nothing has happened. The horses have disappeared from the field too, so I guess nothing will happen. The guy has probably stopped renting the field. Maybe the council will get round to it in about 10 years time. Like my guttering that was going to be replaced 3 years ago when I moved in here. There's no fall on it along the back, so it just all gathers outside my back door and torrents off like Niagara falls when it rains (which of course is most of the time)
So here I am, sitting down at this time of the day, already bored out of my brains, so I suppose I may as well resign myself to watching the snooker on the telly. How interesting. I don't mind it now and then, but I'm not an avid watcher.
Other than that, it's housework - nah - not in the mood. The aviary needs cleaning out - nah - not in the mood for that either, I always put that off as it kills my back. I wonder when the day will come when I can't do it at all, and will have to pay someone. Hopefully never, as I am not going to replace any of my birds now (well that's the theory, I said that last year, and ended up with two more cockatiels) I think it's lovely for them to have the freedom of a nice aviary, and not be stuck in a cage in the corner of someone's room, bored and ignored in some cases, but I hate them being out there in winter when it's minus 8c or worse, and this year I have been running an oil filled rad in the shed for them (no wonder my electric bill was so high) I have three out there now who are 15 years old though, and they are going to be as comfortable as I can possibly make them. My biggest dream is to have a bigger place with a spare room, and they would have a room in the house with an outside flight attached. Dream on, eh? They are such a tie to me as well, I can't go anywhere because they need attending to, I would love to travel a bit more, see my mum more often, go on holiday. I couldn't bear to part with them though, as I have done so before, and then worried myself if they would be okay, would the person look after them properly, feed them properly, are they still alive.... never again. Once I have taken on the commitment of looking after a living creature, then as far as I am concerned, it is for life, and I will give them the best possible life that I can. I had such a thrill yesterday when the last little cockatiel I rescued, a lutino hen whom I called Joanna (Jo-Jo normally) came and perched on my finger whilst I held a little pot of sweetcorn! She was stuck in a cage in a pet shop for around a year, the pet shop was closing down. I guess she is used to people, but when I think how afraid she was of me, and as far as I know, she hasn't been hand reared or tamed, it gives me such a great feeling when a wild creature then trusts me enough to do that. Today, she let me splash her in the bath dish, if you've never seen cockatiels rain-bathing, you haven't lived, they are amazing to watch..... I'll post a couple of pics of my aviary and some of the occupants, as I doubt I'll be going anywhere much today, apart from the farm shop to get some more wild bird seed and probably round the park with Emma if it stops raining. Hey ho, lunch time already, goody... toast and marmite here I come!
This is my Twizzle, the last remaining of the three I handreared, the other two (Ghost and Sumo) have sadly passed away now. Twiz is 5, will be 6 in September. She is a real madam though, still fairly tame, will sit on my head, but not my hand! I have added a link on the side of my blog to show The Story of Twizzle. This is from when I hand-reared her from a few days old, to-date. Click on the Slideshow heading at the top of the page for a blow-by-blow account. :o)

The handsome grey and white chap there is Chico, he is Twizzle's boyfriend.
All my birds have names, but I won't list them!
Next moan, somewhere across the back they are using a compressor or something that sounds like a sodding helicopter taking off. I wondered what the hell the noise was earlier, started at 8.30 this morning, heard clearly through my double glazing. This is coinciding with a chain saw being used, so presumably connected in some way. I hope they aren't ripping out more trees and hedging, I thought it was illegal when birds are nesting. The council came round here in November last year, and asked if I would be in agreement with the trees along my boundary be chopped to make a laid down hedge, the person who was renting the field from the owner and the council would go 50/50 on this. I agreed as it will be nice to have some sun in the garden this summer. I only get sun in May and June when it's at its highest going across, the rest of the year it isn't up enough to go above all the trees. Also I am sick of all the leaves that come off. There is nothing I find more tedious than raking leaves, apart from the fact it kills my back. There would still be one or two that are in my side of the garden which wouldn't be affected, the holly bush for a start, but it would be great to get rid of that 30ft high oak tree which is the worst culprit. But anyway, nothing has happened. The horses have disappeared from the field too, so I guess nothing will happen. The guy has probably stopped renting the field. Maybe the council will get round to it in about 10 years time. Like my guttering that was going to be replaced 3 years ago when I moved in here. There's no fall on it along the back, so it just all gathers outside my back door and torrents off like Niagara falls when it rains (which of course is most of the time)
So here I am, sitting down at this time of the day, already bored out of my brains, so I suppose I may as well resign myself to watching the snooker on the telly. How interesting. I don't mind it now and then, but I'm not an avid watcher.
Other than that, it's housework - nah - not in the mood. The aviary needs cleaning out - nah - not in the mood for that either, I always put that off as it kills my back. I wonder when the day will come when I can't do it at all, and will have to pay someone. Hopefully never, as I am not going to replace any of my birds now (well that's the theory, I said that last year, and ended up with two more cockatiels) I think it's lovely for them to have the freedom of a nice aviary, and not be stuck in a cage in the corner of someone's room, bored and ignored in some cases, but I hate them being out there in winter when it's minus 8c or worse, and this year I have been running an oil filled rad in the shed for them (no wonder my electric bill was so high) I have three out there now who are 15 years old though, and they are going to be as comfortable as I can possibly make them. My biggest dream is to have a bigger place with a spare room, and they would have a room in the house with an outside flight attached. Dream on, eh? They are such a tie to me as well, I can't go anywhere because they need attending to, I would love to travel a bit more, see my mum more often, go on holiday. I couldn't bear to part with them though, as I have done so before, and then worried myself if they would be okay, would the person look after them properly, feed them properly, are they still alive.... never again. Once I have taken on the commitment of looking after a living creature, then as far as I am concerned, it is for life, and I will give them the best possible life that I can. I had such a thrill yesterday when the last little cockatiel I rescued, a lutino hen whom I called Joanna (Jo-Jo normally) came and perched on my finger whilst I held a little pot of sweetcorn! She was stuck in a cage in a pet shop for around a year, the pet shop was closing down. I guess she is used to people, but when I think how afraid she was of me, and as far as I know, she hasn't been hand reared or tamed, it gives me such a great feeling when a wild creature then trusts me enough to do that. Today, she let me splash her in the bath dish, if you've never seen cockatiels rain-bathing, you haven't lived, they are amazing to watch..... I'll post a couple of pics of my aviary and some of the occupants, as I doubt I'll be going anywhere much today, apart from the farm shop to get some more wild bird seed and probably round the park with Emma if it stops raining. Hey ho, lunch time already, goody... toast and marmite here I come!
This is my Twizzle, the last remaining of the three I handreared, the other two (Ghost and Sumo) have sadly passed away now. Twiz is 5, will be 6 in September. She is a real madam though, still fairly tame, will sit on my head, but not my hand! I have added a link on the side of my blog to show The Story of Twizzle. This is from when I hand-reared her from a few days old, to-date. Click on the Slideshow heading at the top of the page for a blow-by-blow account. :o)
The handsome grey and white chap there is Chico, he is Twizzle's boyfriend.
All my birds have names, but I won't list them!
Comments:
<< Home
Love the pics of your birds Jan,they look so happy, I don t like to see animals and birds in tiny cages, I always try and give the buns a nice day, they love to stay out in the sun.
Post a Comment
<< Home
