14 April 2006

Green Castle Woods

Good Friday today, and the weather is certainly living up to the Good bit. We sure as hell fooled whoever organises the weather normally for easter. I can remember being sat indoors watching rain, sleet and snow on previous easters. Today is fantastic, easily the warmest day of the year so far. The first time I went to do my birds without having to wear a jacket, and in fact could have got away without a sweatshirt too. I also actually managed to get some washing done, and dry enough to bring in and put straight in the wardrobe off the line. I also moved the bird table away from the living room window, so that I can put my chair out there. I sat in the sun and my arms saw the light of day for the first time this year.

I took the first dose of my pills last night. It says on the packet "may cause drowsiness" Boy they aren't kidding. I overslept and didn't wake up till nearly 8.30! I also woke with a muzzie head, not what you could call a headache as such, but it's developed into a full blown one now, the tension from yesterday I suppose. I've now taken one of my migraine pills, an hour ago now, and it's gone off a bit.

Was trying to decide what to do today, I didn't really want to stay here all day when the weather was so good, but knew it would be packed out everywhere. I hate holiday periods, Bank Holidays etc. I always preferred to stay at home when I lived elsewhere, but here it's not a pleasure to potter around in the garden, too many things to get on my nerves, someone using a chain saw this morning, or the guy who is building an extension along the road with a cement mixer going, or non-stop traffic coming through the village, and the stink of diesel fumes, it's bloody awful. Oh to live somewhere away from other people, but then I guess I'd be shitting myself worrying at being remote. It's fine if you are with someone, but not living on your own. There's no pleasing me I know. In the end decided to go to B&Q and get a box to make a permanent home for Snuffles (thanks Nic) and then take Emma on to here - http://www.wt-woods.org.uk/greencastlewoods/description.asp

As usual, nothing ever runs smoothly. I had seen the boxes in B&Q last week, but thought nah, like I usually do, can't be bothered and/or will make my own from scratch. So I changed my mind. I wandered round and round B&Q and couldn't find them anywhere. Finally asked a female assistant, who didn't know what I was talking about. She couldn't find them either. So we go to the tills to look up on the computer, and she asks the manager who says no, they had some at Christmas but they won't be getting any more in. I said but there were loads there the other day. So then she asks a bloke assistant. He says, yeah Aisle 39, took me straight to them, said "Managers know nothin'!" So I get to the till, wait in a queue for 5 minutes whilst an old girl buys plants without a trolley and can't manage to carry them all once the basket was taken off her. :rolleyes: My package is £14.99! I said, but they are £9.99! So I pay, but then go back to check, and of course there are two sizes of box, the smaller ones are sold out! Shit. Oh well Snuffles is going to have a mansion sized dez-rez. The money I've spent on him, he'd better be grateful that's all.

Can't think of anything else at the moment, I may do some more later, will spend a while now posting some pictures I took today.

I didn't take any birdy photos, but I did see one of these -




Emma playing hide and seek in the woods.


It will be a blue sea of bluebells in three weeks or so now, fantastic place, can't wait to see and smell them again. May is my favourite month of the year, in fact about the only month I like in this country.

At the moment everywhere is covered in wood anemones though

There's obviously some history surrounding this tree - it has been left, whilst all the others around it (presumably) have been cleared...

The view looking back toward Carmarthen, car park at bottom of hill. You know it's a strange thing, all those cars you can see, and actually there were more than that when I arrived, and you walk around for about half an hour, up one side, through the woods, across another bit, and then back down, and you never see another person! Where are they all?

Comments:
Hows that hog box coming along? Mine have all had mini-disasters when making them, but worth while!
 
Giss a chance - it's still in the packet!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

adopt your own virtual pet!
adopt your own virtual pet!
adopt your own virtual pet!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++