10 April 2006

Henllan

The weather today has been amazing. Still cold, it was 20c though out the back at lunchtime, I couldn't believe it, but then round the front out of the sun it was only 4c! I was going to do some washing, but a few clouds started to come over about 11 oclock so I didnt bother, the forecasts on BBC and Yahoo both gave rain for here today. Typical, it's been pure blue skies and sunshine all afternoon. I just looked at the back wall thermo again though, and it's only 6c out there. Still chilly for April I think.

Well I decided to take Emma to Henllan, as I haven't taken any pictures of down there before. It's another stretch of the River Teifi, near Newcastle Emlyn but about 3 miles further downstream (or should that be upstream - it's further away from the sea whichever it should be)

Emma was in her element again with lots of rock pools, and an especially nice stagnant smelly one. I did take some pictures of her today, but none of them were deep enough for a swim. I don't want her going in the river either, it's a bit fast flowing in places, although the calm bit further along is okay.

There were lots of other people there with their dogs, had a quick conversation with a woman with her old springer, just a quick nod and hello to one or two others, so didn't exactly get a sore throat from conversing again today.

I heard at least 6 robins singing away, they must have quite small territories there, plus a chiffchaff, couple of blackbirds, and a buzzard overhead as I left. Most exciting was a butterfly who settled on the path in front of me for a sunbathe, so I got a good piccie. Rushed to look in my book when I got home and it's a Comma, nothing rare but I've not seen one before. First time I've made use of my Butterflies of Britain book too, I've had it over a year I think.

No sign of my Redpoll today, perhaps something did happen to the male and she's gone off to find a new mate. :(

I cleaned the guinea pigs out this morning, and let them have a run round in the front room again. They are sooooo funny, they run round like lunatics, leaping in the air and squeaking, I feel mean that I don't let them out more often. None of my previous ones have ever done anything other than cower in a corner when I've put them down on the floor.

Ah well, I'll post some of the piccies now, and then time to get the tea I suppose. I'm still having problems posting photos on here, is anyone else? It will only take one at a time, and then I have to press edit, to add another one. Gets a bit of a pain in the bum, cos I've got about 12 to do today!

Emma found the muddy pool.

.... and then a clean one.....

.... it's all your fault, I'm now wet and cold!


The Comma Butterfly

.... the rough....

.... and the smooth

The trees here are amazing, they are around 60 feet high. They seem to go up and up forever, so straight. It's not such a good place to come in high summer actually unless you want to cool down, as it is a bit chilly under the canopy, okay once you get out into the fields at the end though.

View from the bridge

Comments:
Lovely photos again Jan! Such a lovely part of the country you live in, even if it rains!
 
Superb photos Jan

I really need another week in Wales!! I enjoyed Llanelli wetlands centre and a trip to Skomer - uuuuuummmmm

check pm's for blog stuff
 
Like the new look jan
 
Hi, Jan. I don't think we've been formally introduced but I hope to rectify that now.

Your photos are lovely. I've had a good trawl about your blog. I was hoping I might see somewhere I recognise. I spent New Year on Anglesey. We went for a walk along the headland on New Years Day and I watched a flock of sanderling for ages. There were even surfers on the bay.

In fact I'm expecting a call from my sort-of-sister-in-lawish person tonight so might be planning another trip over to the borders v soon. A bit further north than you but I'm trying to get them to venture further afield. xx

PS. I only learnt how to put links on my side-bar last week. I'd be happy to help if no-one else offers
 
Thanks cherrypie for the kind remarks. I am in south west Wales, haven't been any further north than Aberystwyth.

Thanks for the offer of help too, but think I've got it sussed now (thanks Pete ;) )
 
Well done on getting the links on here jan!!
 
see told you you could do it
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

adopt your own virtual pet!
adopt your own virtual pet!
adopt your own virtual pet!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++