30 April 2006
Weekend blues
I've come to the conclusion that I am such a sad, miserable old cow, but I bloody hate weekends. If you go out anywhere, it's full of people playing happy families, couples wandering around, hand in hand, looking adoringly into each other's eyes, or people with kids, all having a lovely time, and I stick out like a sore thumb on my own. You can see the look in their eyes sometimes, and read their thoughts, thinking oh shame look at her on her own (or that's how it seems) Really why I only go shopping, because it's an acceptable thing to be doing on your own, or even walking the dog, but at weekends, I try to go to places where there won't be many other people, as the same applies. People walk dogs in couples. Or families.
On the other hand, if you stay at home, then those that haven't gone out cause nothing but annoyance to me, I just want a bit of peace, and all you get is everyone out in the gardens, cutting grass, strimming, kicking footballs, playing loud music, or hoovering out their cars and usually all of them at the same time round here. How I long to be the true recluse that I am in my heart, and live away from other people.
Anyway today, I decided to re-lay the patio slabs that I use for my bird feeding area. Now that I have done away with the ground feeder and table down by the kitchen, and moved it up to the top section of the garden, the 9 slabs I had down wasn't a big enough area. When I first did it the summer before last, it looked good, and I surrounded the whole area with about 10 bags of pebbles. Now these had all disappeared under a sea of mud and grass, so I set about digging all that out first, took up all the slabs, levelled as best I could, and covered it with weed block (which is what I should have done in the first place, you learn from your mistakes) Then I went to FOCUS DIY to buy some more slabs, and some sand. They were £1.45 each, and I'm sure that B&Q had them cheaper before, so I trundle all the way down there, and they had one left at £1.19. Shit. All the way back to FOCUS and got 8 and two bags of sand. The rear end of the car dropped by about a foot! I really need more - I think I need another 9 at least, but can't risk anymore.
When I got back, had to unload them one at a time and walk up the garden with them. Anyway, managed to get them all laid and reasonably flat and not wobbly in an hour. Brushed off the surplus sand, surveyed the situation, could really do with another 20 I reckon but still, will do a bit at a time - at least I can move the bird table back and the bird bath now.
Today has been grey skies all day, and now it's started to rain as promised, so glad I got that done. Had to put the lights on at half six, not a happy bunny, so depressing when its grey like this, and cold too, it was only 46f out there just now.
To really make my day, I now have another sick Greenfinch here, a little hen, and it's breaking my heart. She is sitting around ruffled up, and she has a little male partner following her around and trying to look after her. No doubt she will pass it on to him too, by the looks of it, she won't last the night though. I only hope they haven't got chicks in the nest somewhere. :o( Why oh why can't I be rid of this horrible disease? There was a male and female Chaffinch a couple of weeks back, they were the first I'd seen for a few weeks.
Absolutely not one thing I want to watch on tv tonight, so I am going to have a soak in the bath in a bit, and ease my back. Carrying two bags of sand and all those slabs has done it the world of good. :( (Why is pre-packed sand in the plastic bags, sealed, with no holes in the bag always bloody soaking wet, and weighs about 50 kilos, even when it's only a small bag???? ) Answers on a postcard please....
Oh yeah, saw the first Swifts here today, exactly to the day the same time as for last year... amazing things, migratory birds aren't they?
Sick greenfinch on my living room windowsill

On the other hand, if you stay at home, then those that haven't gone out cause nothing but annoyance to me, I just want a bit of peace, and all you get is everyone out in the gardens, cutting grass, strimming, kicking footballs, playing loud music, or hoovering out their cars and usually all of them at the same time round here. How I long to be the true recluse that I am in my heart, and live away from other people.
Anyway today, I decided to re-lay the patio slabs that I use for my bird feeding area. Now that I have done away with the ground feeder and table down by the kitchen, and moved it up to the top section of the garden, the 9 slabs I had down wasn't a big enough area. When I first did it the summer before last, it looked good, and I surrounded the whole area with about 10 bags of pebbles. Now these had all disappeared under a sea of mud and grass, so I set about digging all that out first, took up all the slabs, levelled as best I could, and covered it with weed block (which is what I should have done in the first place, you learn from your mistakes) Then I went to FOCUS DIY to buy some more slabs, and some sand. They were £1.45 each, and I'm sure that B&Q had them cheaper before, so I trundle all the way down there, and they had one left at £1.19. Shit. All the way back to FOCUS and got 8 and two bags of sand. The rear end of the car dropped by about a foot! I really need more - I think I need another 9 at least, but can't risk anymore.
When I got back, had to unload them one at a time and walk up the garden with them. Anyway, managed to get them all laid and reasonably flat and not wobbly in an hour. Brushed off the surplus sand, surveyed the situation, could really do with another 20 I reckon but still, will do a bit at a time - at least I can move the bird table back and the bird bath now.
Today has been grey skies all day, and now it's started to rain as promised, so glad I got that done. Had to put the lights on at half six, not a happy bunny, so depressing when its grey like this, and cold too, it was only 46f out there just now.
To really make my day, I now have another sick Greenfinch here, a little hen, and it's breaking my heart. She is sitting around ruffled up, and she has a little male partner following her around and trying to look after her. No doubt she will pass it on to him too, by the looks of it, she won't last the night though. I only hope they haven't got chicks in the nest somewhere. :o( Why oh why can't I be rid of this horrible disease? There was a male and female Chaffinch a couple of weeks back, they were the first I'd seen for a few weeks.
Absolutely not one thing I want to watch on tv tonight, so I am going to have a soak in the bath in a bit, and ease my back. Carrying two bags of sand and all those slabs has done it the world of good. :( (Why is pre-packed sand in the plastic bags, sealed, with no holes in the bag always bloody soaking wet, and weighs about 50 kilos, even when it's only a small bag???? ) Answers on a postcard please....
Oh yeah, saw the first Swifts here today, exactly to the day the same time as for last year... amazing things, migratory birds aren't they?
Sick greenfinch on my living room windowsill
Comments:
<< Home
Yes, so sad about the greenfinch. I have some visiting but, fingers crossed, they look okay so far. Jan, don't you have a wheel barrow? You must be very strong!
The reason sand is always wet is because it weighs more and so you get less sand for your money!
The reason sand is always wet is because it weighs more and so you get less sand for your money!
You'v done so well Jan to do all that , its very hard work, I ve done some myself, so know all about carrying it home, and its so hard getting them level as well, you must be pleased with yourself Jan.
Sad about the poor little finch, it s heartbraking seeing him like that.
Post a Comment
Sad about the poor little finch, it s heartbraking seeing him like that.
<< Home
