05 May 2006
Erm, don't know what to call today...
We had a nice day today weatherwise, made up for yesterday. Blue skies all day, no clouds, but still a cool breeze coming from the south this time, I thought southerlies were supposed to be warm. I sat in the front porch and ate my salad for tea tonight though and it was really hot, out of the wind. Round the back, it was 9c or about 48f I think that is at 7 oclock. There's only one thing wrong with sitting in my porch eating my tea (apart from the smell that is, where Snuffles is using the area as a toilet as well as he feeding place!) and that is NOISE! I would love to sit there and listen to the birds, but the trouble with summer is there is always someone, somewhere, within earshot cutting their grass. Wouldn't it be lovely if there was a law that everyone had to cut their grass at the same time, say give them two different days/times, and then it was illegal to do it any other time.
I was also thinking about what is the worst invention of my lifetime. It has to be, without a shadow of a doubt, in-car music systems. Be it radio, cd player or cassette. Ban them I say. Why do people, and I use the term losely, think that everyone wants to hear their boom boxes two streets away? I have the misfortune to live in direct line with a Spar Shop, but it's in the next street. All the local kids hang about outside on a nice evening, various souped up cars come and go, each with a varying volume of boom boom boom, but they all have the same effect on my window frames and my temper. I want to kill them all. Anti-social behaviour. Yes, I was young once, and I played music in my car, still do sometimes too, but I'm bloody sure it can't be heard 100 yards away. Poor people who live either side of the shop. The other night, at midnight, I let my dog out for a wee, and I could hear this droning noise. I walked down the end of the cul de sac in me slippers and looked up to the main road, and there was an AA breakdown truck parked up with his headlights on, engine running, and cab light on. He appeared to be looking at a map from what I could see from down here. He was there for over 20 minutes. Right outside someone's bedroom window, literally 6 feet away from their window. Presumably they were either out, deaf, or are far more tolerant than I. I know I have a problem with being oversensitive to things, noise and smells being the main ones. These people who leave their engines running whilst they go in the shop not only grate on my nerves with the noise, but also leave a stench of diesel fumes too. The whole joy of living in a country village to me was the fresh air. No more, its non-stop traffic coming through here nowadays. They did a count last year, a traffic census, and from 6 am to 6 pm, 6,000 vehicles passed the checkpoints, 5,900 of them I think were just through traffic. I wish to god we could have a by-pass.
Oh well that's enough moaning for today I suppose. I haven't done an awful lot, laid my four slabs on the feeding area and levelled up some of the others a bit better now I had some more sand. Took Emma to Henllan again, it was lovely down there today, I didn't bother with the camera, I took so many before. All the bluebells were out and the smell was gorgeous. I also spotted some shoals of tiny little fish, right in the warm water in the shallow bit. Amazing how they can spot you near the bank, and disappear instantly. I reckon there must have been around 500 or so, and in a flash - gone! Emma had lots of paddles, she still has wet ears even now!
There's definitely something strange going on with the blackbirds. Still not seen a baby or a hen for days, but two males were round the back this afternoon, and were allowing each other to feed without fighting. Before one was chasing off the other one. I'm getting surer by the day that something has happened to my tame hen. :( The male who was her partner sounded an alarm call earlier, and I looked and the sparrowhawk was in the tree. Strange behaviour from that too, there were some blue tits above it, not hiding, making a lot of noise, but it didn't attempt to get them, it was kind of climbing around from branch to branch, but then it saw me and flew off.
Can't think of anything else for now, so I'm going to concentrate on American Idol for a while. Oh yeah, I downloaded episode 20 of the 2nd season of Lost overnight last night, and watched it first thing this morning, and all I can say is WOW! Fan-bloody-tastic. I am still shell-shocked, can't believe what happened at the end. Roll on next Thursday!
I was also thinking about what is the worst invention of my lifetime. It has to be, without a shadow of a doubt, in-car music systems. Be it radio, cd player or cassette. Ban them I say. Why do people, and I use the term losely, think that everyone wants to hear their boom boxes two streets away? I have the misfortune to live in direct line with a Spar Shop, but it's in the next street. All the local kids hang about outside on a nice evening, various souped up cars come and go, each with a varying volume of boom boom boom, but they all have the same effect on my window frames and my temper. I want to kill them all. Anti-social behaviour. Yes, I was young once, and I played music in my car, still do sometimes too, but I'm bloody sure it can't be heard 100 yards away. Poor people who live either side of the shop. The other night, at midnight, I let my dog out for a wee, and I could hear this droning noise. I walked down the end of the cul de sac in me slippers and looked up to the main road, and there was an AA breakdown truck parked up with his headlights on, engine running, and cab light on. He appeared to be looking at a map from what I could see from down here. He was there for over 20 minutes. Right outside someone's bedroom window, literally 6 feet away from their window. Presumably they were either out, deaf, or are far more tolerant than I. I know I have a problem with being oversensitive to things, noise and smells being the main ones. These people who leave their engines running whilst they go in the shop not only grate on my nerves with the noise, but also leave a stench of diesel fumes too. The whole joy of living in a country village to me was the fresh air. No more, its non-stop traffic coming through here nowadays. They did a count last year, a traffic census, and from 6 am to 6 pm, 6,000 vehicles passed the checkpoints, 5,900 of them I think were just through traffic. I wish to god we could have a by-pass.
Oh well that's enough moaning for today I suppose. I haven't done an awful lot, laid my four slabs on the feeding area and levelled up some of the others a bit better now I had some more sand. Took Emma to Henllan again, it was lovely down there today, I didn't bother with the camera, I took so many before. All the bluebells were out and the smell was gorgeous. I also spotted some shoals of tiny little fish, right in the warm water in the shallow bit. Amazing how they can spot you near the bank, and disappear instantly. I reckon there must have been around 500 or so, and in a flash - gone! Emma had lots of paddles, she still has wet ears even now!
There's definitely something strange going on with the blackbirds. Still not seen a baby or a hen for days, but two males were round the back this afternoon, and were allowing each other to feed without fighting. Before one was chasing off the other one. I'm getting surer by the day that something has happened to my tame hen. :( The male who was her partner sounded an alarm call earlier, and I looked and the sparrowhawk was in the tree. Strange behaviour from that too, there were some blue tits above it, not hiding, making a lot of noise, but it didn't attempt to get them, it was kind of climbing around from branch to branch, but then it saw me and flew off.
Can't think of anything else for now, so I'm going to concentrate on American Idol for a while. Oh yeah, I downloaded episode 20 of the 2nd season of Lost overnight last night, and watched it first thing this morning, and all I can say is WOW! Fan-bloody-tastic. I am still shell-shocked, can't believe what happened at the end. Roll on next Thursday!
Comments:
<< Home
It's not just you, I hate the car engine thing too.
Often I hear a car outside between midnight and 3am, sitting there with the engine running for 20 minutes or so and it drives me mad. Obviously someone's getting dropped off and can't say goodnight in a few minutes. I feel like shouting out of the window and telling them to turn the thing off! Ffs, why do you need the car ticking over anyway? Grrr.
That and if someone gets on the bus and they stink of smoke. Or alcohol. Or sweat. Or wee. Or whatever. Grrr again.
Often I hear a car outside between midnight and 3am, sitting there with the engine running for 20 minutes or so and it drives me mad. Obviously someone's getting dropped off and can't say goodnight in a few minutes. I feel like shouting out of the window and telling them to turn the thing off! Ffs, why do you need the car ticking over anyway? Grrr.
That and if someone gets on the bus and they stink of smoke. Or alcohol. Or sweat. Or wee. Or whatever. Grrr again.
I live on one of the busiest main roads in our county. Admittedly, that's not saying much, given that we are still a two-horse county, but the woofers on some of those stage-coaches that trail through are quite unnecessary.
Your by-pass idea might be a bit of a can-o-worms though. Remember Newbury? and they weren't in fertile hill country
Your by-pass idea might be a bit of a can-o-worms though. Remember Newbury? and they weren't in fertile hill country
Im sorry anna, I will take the seat behind next time...
Jan, luckily car noise doesnt bother me too much...living on a roundabout!
Jan, luckily car noise doesnt bother me too much...living on a roundabout!
Lol @ all your comments. Anna, the smell thing really gets me, there was a bloke in Morrisons the other day, what a smelly old git, his clothes looked like they hadn't been washed for a year, stains and all sorts of unmentionable looking things all down his trousers! He reeked, you could literally smell him 3 yards away. Vile. I think he'd come straight off a pig farm.
And cherrypie, I know what you mean about the bypass, perhaps not such a good idea, because the only place i can see that they could have one here would be straight across the farm field which runs down the side of my property. The noise of whoosing traffic constantly is even worse than the stationary ones I think.
Nic, you can't really be serious, you live on a roundabout - wot in the centre?? ;)
Post a Comment
And cherrypie, I know what you mean about the bypass, perhaps not such a good idea, because the only place i can see that they could have one here would be straight across the farm field which runs down the side of my property. The noise of whoosing traffic constantly is even worse than the stationary ones I think.
Nic, you can't really be serious, you live on a roundabout - wot in the centre?? ;)
<< Home
