15 June 2006
The Dentists and The Baby Thrush
Had to get up at the crack of dawn to be at the dentists for a 9 am appointment. Needless to say, slept very badly, kept waking up and worrying that I'd overslept from about 4.30 onwards.
Remind me never to go to town that early again. I'd forgotten what it's like to get stuck in traffic jams, a rare occurrence in this part of the world, but of course lots of people were travelling to work. Still, I made it with about a minute to spare, took double the time I normally allow to go to Carmarthen. I only just managed to get a parking space in the back bit of Tescos car park too, even at that time of the morning.
So got to the surgery, and they had the door open, the only available chair (yes at 9 o'clock,) was right in the firing line, and I sat there and froze. FFS, it was only about 50f at that time of the morning, and the wind was blasting in. Then a lorry came and parked outside with its refridgeration unit rattling at about 90 decibels, and the receptionists were shouting to one another to be heard! So I asked if I could shut the door, and it was, oh okay, but we boil. I said, well I'm freezing, and I can't stand that noise! So I shut it. And it stayed shut for the whole bloody 45 minutes I sat there waiting after my appointment time. That winds me up so much. Surely they know roughly how long an appointment is going to take the dentist, why the hell can't they allow longer instead of making an appointment for about every 5 minutes of the day, when they know full well someone's will take 20. There was a family of four went in before me, and they took 25 minutes, two kids and mum and dad. I bet they'd only allowed 5 sodding minutes for them. My dentist is a lovely Asian girl, but the guy there is Welsh, and he is built like a rugby player. He seems really nice and friendly and cheerful, but it makes me smile when he comes out into reception with his rubber gloves on, he looks so out of place with his big meaty hands, it looks like he'd be more at home as a vet, with his hand stuck up a cow's backside, he definitely doesn't look like a dentist!
After all that waiting, she just had a quick look, said the one that had been playing me up didn't appear to have anything wrong with it, just sensitivity (well I use Sensodyne, have done for years) but as I suspected, my front tooth needs a filling and she will also replace the white filling that I lost about 5 months ago on one of my fangs. I have to go through it all again on Monday now, but thankfully an afternoon appointment.
So I had a look round the shops, and then drove down to Pets at Home to get some bits for the pets (funnily enough!) As I came off the mini-roundabout by Kwik Fit, a brown shape flapping around in the gutter caught my eye - a bird. :( I stopped and went and picked it up, but too late, it was a beautiful little fledgling Song Thrush. Just out of the nest I suspect. I had seen its last flapping and breaths. It still had its little stumpy tail and a bit of fluff on its head. I got back in the car with it in my hands, and cried my bloody eyes out. I wish I could be harder, but nature stinks! Poor little bugger, never even had a life. To have gone through all that for a few weeks, and then to end up smashed by a car. I got round to PaH and just sat in the car and cried again.
Came home and buried it. Took Emma down the park at Llandysul and was cheered up a little by a baby wren saying hello to me within 3 or 4 feet. There was much twittering and several youngsters around, and a concerned mummy or daddy too, but this little one just looked at me from its perch in the bush. Why do I never have my camera when it matters? I don't bother down the park, as I go there so often and it's just a park with cricket pitches, tennis courts, footie, and the river. Have posted a few pictures before. Damn!
Oh well, just getting set now to watch the football. I expect it will be scintillating as usual. I wish it wasn't so nice outside, as I feel I am missing out on the sunshine. I wish it would make its mind up today though, I 've lost count of how many times I have changed clothes today now. Currently extremely hot, but go round the front garden, and it's decidedly chilly in the wind and out of the sun. Thermometer on wall shows 70f, which isn't exactly boiling, but not too bad. It's warmer out here than indoors anyway, and I put the hall storage rad on all night last night.
Snuffs came back last night and demolished his food, and was back snoring away in his box when I checked. I don't know what he gets up to when he goes missing for a night, or what he eats, but he always has awful poos for me to clear up the next day. Yewk.
I just took some pics of one of my favourite plants in the garden, I wish all were so pleasing and easy to look after. It's by my back door, and I never have to touch it, trim it, fertilise it or do anything to it at all, and it comes back, year after year smothered in beautiful violet flowers and bees.
Time to make a cuppa I guess, my only other achievement today is that I have cleaned out the guinea pigs. They are currently out in the run in the sunshine.




Remind me never to go to town that early again. I'd forgotten what it's like to get stuck in traffic jams, a rare occurrence in this part of the world, but of course lots of people were travelling to work. Still, I made it with about a minute to spare, took double the time I normally allow to go to Carmarthen. I only just managed to get a parking space in the back bit of Tescos car park too, even at that time of the morning.
So got to the surgery, and they had the door open, the only available chair (yes at 9 o'clock,) was right in the firing line, and I sat there and froze. FFS, it was only about 50f at that time of the morning, and the wind was blasting in. Then a lorry came and parked outside with its refridgeration unit rattling at about 90 decibels, and the receptionists were shouting to one another to be heard! So I asked if I could shut the door, and it was, oh okay, but we boil. I said, well I'm freezing, and I can't stand that noise! So I shut it. And it stayed shut for the whole bloody 45 minutes I sat there waiting after my appointment time. That winds me up so much. Surely they know roughly how long an appointment is going to take the dentist, why the hell can't they allow longer instead of making an appointment for about every 5 minutes of the day, when they know full well someone's will take 20. There was a family of four went in before me, and they took 25 minutes, two kids and mum and dad. I bet they'd only allowed 5 sodding minutes for them. My dentist is a lovely Asian girl, but the guy there is Welsh, and he is built like a rugby player. He seems really nice and friendly and cheerful, but it makes me smile when he comes out into reception with his rubber gloves on, he looks so out of place with his big meaty hands, it looks like he'd be more at home as a vet, with his hand stuck up a cow's backside, he definitely doesn't look like a dentist!
After all that waiting, she just had a quick look, said the one that had been playing me up didn't appear to have anything wrong with it, just sensitivity (well I use Sensodyne, have done for years) but as I suspected, my front tooth needs a filling and she will also replace the white filling that I lost about 5 months ago on one of my fangs. I have to go through it all again on Monday now, but thankfully an afternoon appointment.
So I had a look round the shops, and then drove down to Pets at Home to get some bits for the pets (funnily enough!) As I came off the mini-roundabout by Kwik Fit, a brown shape flapping around in the gutter caught my eye - a bird. :( I stopped and went and picked it up, but too late, it was a beautiful little fledgling Song Thrush. Just out of the nest I suspect. I had seen its last flapping and breaths. It still had its little stumpy tail and a bit of fluff on its head. I got back in the car with it in my hands, and cried my bloody eyes out. I wish I could be harder, but nature stinks! Poor little bugger, never even had a life. To have gone through all that for a few weeks, and then to end up smashed by a car. I got round to PaH and just sat in the car and cried again.
Came home and buried it. Took Emma down the park at Llandysul and was cheered up a little by a baby wren saying hello to me within 3 or 4 feet. There was much twittering and several youngsters around, and a concerned mummy or daddy too, but this little one just looked at me from its perch in the bush. Why do I never have my camera when it matters? I don't bother down the park, as I go there so often and it's just a park with cricket pitches, tennis courts, footie, and the river. Have posted a few pictures before. Damn!
Oh well, just getting set now to watch the football. I expect it will be scintillating as usual. I wish it wasn't so nice outside, as I feel I am missing out on the sunshine. I wish it would make its mind up today though, I 've lost count of how many times I have changed clothes today now. Currently extremely hot, but go round the front garden, and it's decidedly chilly in the wind and out of the sun. Thermometer on wall shows 70f, which isn't exactly boiling, but not too bad. It's warmer out here than indoors anyway, and I put the hall storage rad on all night last night.
Snuffs came back last night and demolished his food, and was back snoring away in his box when I checked. I don't know what he gets up to when he goes missing for a night, or what he eats, but he always has awful poos for me to clear up the next day. Yewk.
I just took some pics of one of my favourite plants in the garden, I wish all were so pleasing and easy to look after. It's by my back door, and I never have to touch it, trim it, fertilise it or do anything to it at all, and it comes back, year after year smothered in beautiful violet flowers and bees.
Time to make a cuppa I guess, my only other achievement today is that I have cleaned out the guinea pigs. They are currently out in the run in the sunshine.




