26 June 2006

The start of Wimbledon and of course it's raining....

First, the news of the jackdaw. I had an awful night, kept waking up worrying if he was still alive, but couldn't go and check, a torch would have been needed and that would have only stressed him out more. In the end, I went and looked at 6.30. He was still alive much to my great surprise. Poor thing looked awful though, his legs had completely gone, and his feet were all crunched up. I waited till the vets was open, and they said bring him straight down. My vet is a nightmare on a Monday morning. I don't know why everyone waits to take their non-emergencies then I'm sure. They were queuing out the door, thank gawd I phoned first, and they got the vet nurse to take him off me straight away. Said to leave him and if he could be saved, they would certainly do so and I could have him back to look after him. His little face as I kept looking at him during the drive down there, he looked so alert and interested, not at all freaked out by the journey, and he even pecked at some of the seeds in his box. I was full of hope.

The vet phoned me at 12.30 to say that the extent of his injuries was too great, and they had decided to put him to sleep. Not entirely unexpected really. She said he had two deep puncture wounds either side of his eye socket, which in her opinion was caused by a bite. So maybe I have falsely accused the boy behind. Maybe not. I said was it possible that a pellet had gone in and straight through without killing the bird, and she said it was unlikely, but not impossible, it could have been the case. Whatever had happened though, it had caused paralysis of his legs and he had no chance of recovery in her opinion, so I respect Marie very much, she was the same vet who dealt with this last year for me. So sadly, that is the end of that saga for now. I have checked the area that I found him, and there are no feathers around which would have given me an indication that a cat had got hold of him, or a hawk for that matter, so it will remain a mystery, unless by some freak, the air gun pellet is still a possiblity. Will never know.

I have to say it's somewhat of a relief. Maybe, just maybe, after the police visit, there will be no more of this. I really hope so.

Other than that, have spent the day at my friend's house trying to set up her new broadband connection, with zero success. We knew it wouldn't be as simple as it sounds, and of course, it never is. Firstly the only way the box would get the right signal was by her disabling her two extensions from the bt socket, despite using filters. Then we tried over and over and over and it would not accept her username and password. She was on the phone to them (Orange) for over an hour, and had to give up in the end. About 5 hours in total, and got nowhere. Had to stop for the day, Orange were going to make sure her line was okay with BT, and it would take two hours for this to be checked out. Talk about frustration!

Didn't know what else to call today. Just switched on to watch at teatime and instead of the tennis being on BBC2, there's Animal Park and then The Weakest Link, so I guess it's pissing down in south London. How unexpected (insert sarcastic smiley) Every year the same. We have had severe drought (even here in Wales, its the driest I can remember my lawn being in years) but you can guarantee as soon as Wimbledon starts, the rains will fall. Year after year. You'd think they would change the dates to try and fool whoever or whatever is responsible. Mum and dad always used to have the last week in June, first in July for summer holidays, how stupid is that? They never did realise I don't think - it was just important for them to get away before the hoardes of people with school kids did.

I've had the last bit of the football on whilst I was doing this, Italy v Australia. Poor Aussies, put out in the 93rd minute by an Italian cheat and a stupid referee. Bloody disgusting. It ought to be replayed.

Oh well, better get the pets teas done now. What an exciting life I lead.

Comments:
sad about the jacdaw jan, but sounds like for the best poor thing.

Yup us suvveners are being treated to out once a year rainfull!!!
 
Poor jackdaw, so sorry to hear about that Jan.
 
Yes, what a shame about the jackdaw, but at least it is out of its misery now.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

adopt your own virtual pet!
adopt your own virtual pet!
adopt your own virtual pet!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++