15 July 2006
Dog Day
Last Saturday, my day revolved around birds (catching Rambo being the highlight ) today it's revolved around dogs.
Started off very badly when someone's Springer Spaniel, which was tied up outside the village shop, nearly took a chunk out of me as I went past. I've never seen one that was vicious before. Made me quite shocked and shaky. The woman came out as I was about to enter the shop, and I said it ought to be muzzled. She immediately went on the defensive, which in fairness, I guess I would have too if it had been my dog, and said I shouldn't have gone near it! So I was supposed to walk in the road then to avoid going near it? I could have been a child, whose reactions weren't as quick for instance, and she would now be facing a lot more hassle than my comment. Some people are so silly. Now she doesn't know me, but anyone who does, or even who reads this blog will know that I am the planet's biggest dog defender, I will go to extreme lengths to defend dogs on forums or in person. But that dog definitely had a problem, and should not be left unattended outside a shop.
Okay next, I was looking after my friend's dog Ben today, whilst her and her husband were in a bowls tournament. Now Ben is a lovely dog, but he isn't the most obedient dog in the world but he has always been pretty good with me. Not today however. We went to my favourite place by the river, as I thought it would be cool there, and nobody else around on a Saturday lunchtime. I was not wrong there, only one couple who didn't have a dog. But Ben was being a bugger and wouldn't stick with me at all. We went up the path, both dogs in the water, and had a splash around, but then he wanted to go across the field. Well normally we can, but today, the farmer was cutting the hay, so I said no. So we turned round to head back to the car, and Ben raced on ahead. Emma went back down into the water. No sign of Ben. I shouted my lungs off, and still no sign. Then I started to worry a bit, because just along from where we were was a rocky bit with very fast rushing water. If he had gone in there, he would have been swept along, alright, only for about 20 yards, then it was still water, but he could have bashed his head on a rock and been drowned for all I knew. I called and called. Nothing. I went back to the car thinking he may be there. Nope. Shit. Now I was really worried. How do you tell your friend you have lost their dog? I yelled and yelled. I was going to put Emma back in the car and retrace my steps, and suddenly he appeared. All waggy and happy. Boy did I tell him off. He slunk into the car and never moved on the way back. Sopping wet too. It completely spoilt the walk, getting all tense and uptight like that does me no good at all. It makes me appreciate my little Emma so much. She is such a good little dog and sticks with me, never any bother.
Other than that, was on the phone all afternoon, interspersed with sunbathing, making cups of tea and drinking Sunny D. Nothing much else to report, just done my watering, washed up the plates and stuff, and am now sitting in the porch very reluctant to go indoors. The only sound I can hear is a dog barking faintly about a mile away I guess, and the buzzing of insects. It's still 25c even though the sun has now disappeared over the hill. It's times like this that make me realise how lucky I am living here, with a super view, and relative peace and quiet some of the time. What a difference a week makes though. This time last Saturday, we had a mini tornado here, lashing rain, and gale force winds, crazy weather we get. This is as good as it gets as far as I am concerned. I love it, wish it could be like this all year round, and just have a bit of rainfall during the night now and then, just to keep things living and green. My idea of paradise!
Few pictures now, and then I'm off to do my hoggies food. I think Itsy may have come into the front porch last night. I am putting a dish full of bakers meaty chunks and peanuts under the covered run, to stop Emma and the magpies getting them. Magpies are having the sultanas and sunflower hearts from the other dish, but they make such a mess with the peanut skins. Anyhow the peanuts disappeared last night - Itsy has never been under that cover before as far as I know. I wonder if it's because I scrubbed the porch out and it doesn't stink of Snuffles now (well not as much, I can still smell it where I am sitting! :o( The dish round the back door was completely emptied again.
I took a picture of the village yesterday, looking down from on top of the hillside on my way home from Pat's. This is the first one. My place isn't in sight though, it's hidden by the trees, you can only see it in winter when there's no foliage. Other pics are of dogs down the river and some of my garden, which is looking great at the moment with all the flowers out, quite proud of it this year.





Started off very badly when someone's Springer Spaniel, which was tied up outside the village shop, nearly took a chunk out of me as I went past. I've never seen one that was vicious before. Made me quite shocked and shaky. The woman came out as I was about to enter the shop, and I said it ought to be muzzled. She immediately went on the defensive, which in fairness, I guess I would have too if it had been my dog, and said I shouldn't have gone near it! So I was supposed to walk in the road then to avoid going near it? I could have been a child, whose reactions weren't as quick for instance, and she would now be facing a lot more hassle than my comment. Some people are so silly. Now she doesn't know me, but anyone who does, or even who reads this blog will know that I am the planet's biggest dog defender, I will go to extreme lengths to defend dogs on forums or in person. But that dog definitely had a problem, and should not be left unattended outside a shop.
Okay next, I was looking after my friend's dog Ben today, whilst her and her husband were in a bowls tournament. Now Ben is a lovely dog, but he isn't the most obedient dog in the world but he has always been pretty good with me. Not today however. We went to my favourite place by the river, as I thought it would be cool there, and nobody else around on a Saturday lunchtime. I was not wrong there, only one couple who didn't have a dog. But Ben was being a bugger and wouldn't stick with me at all. We went up the path, both dogs in the water, and had a splash around, but then he wanted to go across the field. Well normally we can, but today, the farmer was cutting the hay, so I said no. So we turned round to head back to the car, and Ben raced on ahead. Emma went back down into the water. No sign of Ben. I shouted my lungs off, and still no sign. Then I started to worry a bit, because just along from where we were was a rocky bit with very fast rushing water. If he had gone in there, he would have been swept along, alright, only for about 20 yards, then it was still water, but he could have bashed his head on a rock and been drowned for all I knew. I called and called. Nothing. I went back to the car thinking he may be there. Nope. Shit. Now I was really worried. How do you tell your friend you have lost their dog? I yelled and yelled. I was going to put Emma back in the car and retrace my steps, and suddenly he appeared. All waggy and happy. Boy did I tell him off. He slunk into the car and never moved on the way back. Sopping wet too. It completely spoilt the walk, getting all tense and uptight like that does me no good at all. It makes me appreciate my little Emma so much. She is such a good little dog and sticks with me, never any bother.
Other than that, was on the phone all afternoon, interspersed with sunbathing, making cups of tea and drinking Sunny D. Nothing much else to report, just done my watering, washed up the plates and stuff, and am now sitting in the porch very reluctant to go indoors. The only sound I can hear is a dog barking faintly about a mile away I guess, and the buzzing of insects. It's still 25c even though the sun has now disappeared over the hill. It's times like this that make me realise how lucky I am living here, with a super view, and relative peace and quiet some of the time. What a difference a week makes though. This time last Saturday, we had a mini tornado here, lashing rain, and gale force winds, crazy weather we get. This is as good as it gets as far as I am concerned. I love it, wish it could be like this all year round, and just have a bit of rainfall during the night now and then, just to keep things living and green. My idea of paradise!
Few pictures now, and then I'm off to do my hoggies food. I think Itsy may have come into the front porch last night. I am putting a dish full of bakers meaty chunks and peanuts under the covered run, to stop Emma and the magpies getting them. Magpies are having the sultanas and sunflower hearts from the other dish, but they make such a mess with the peanut skins. Anyhow the peanuts disappeared last night - Itsy has never been under that cover before as far as I know. I wonder if it's because I scrubbed the porch out and it doesn't stink of Snuffles now (well not as much, I can still smell it where I am sitting! :o( The dish round the back door was completely emptied again.
I took a picture of the village yesterday, looking down from on top of the hillside on my way home from Pat's. This is the first one. My place isn't in sight though, it's hidden by the trees, you can only see it in winter when there's no foliage. Other pics are of dogs down the river and some of my garden, which is looking great at the moment with all the flowers out, quite proud of it this year.





Comments:
<< Home
Must have been scary losing the dog Jan, you can never tell what other peoples dogs will do.
Loved the garden, it looks really nice.
Post a Comment
Loved the garden, it looks really nice.
<< Home
