20 July 2006
The Park
Not much to report really, I went back to the beach yesterday as planned, but it wasn't as good. Still very pleasant, but it was quite breezy, and the umbrella for the shade for Emma was a disaster. Tried tying it to my bag, putting loads of rocks on the handle, on the actual cloth, and it still kept blowing over, and Emma wouldn't go anywhere near it, scared to death. It also blew inside out when I tried to close it. Someone a bit further along had the same problem, and at least I could laugh about that. The water wasn't as warm either, in fact it was bloody freezing! I only had a very quick swim, waded out as far as my chest and then swam back in. Did sit in the edge with Emma for a while though, it was warmish there. My back got sunburned too, despite trying my best to get suntan protection on it, there's parts my arms just don't reach!
The swallows were still okay Pauline, mum or dad were sitting on the nest when I checked.
Came home a bit earlier and cut the grass, put some washing out, which did the trick - we had some rain at 8 oclock, I was going to leave it out all night as I only got it on the line about 6 oclock, but that put paid to that. Luckily it was virtually all dry anyway.
I was so tired last night, not had much sleep the night before, had an early night. I didn't even switch the tv on at all, just had a quick browse on the pc, of course didn't get to sit down till about 9.30 as usual by the time I'd done all my jobs. I had an even worse night last night, I woke up at least three times dripping with sweat, it's the hottest night I've ever felt here I think.
Today has been grey and greyer. It was supposed to clear this afternoon but shows no signs of doing so. As soon as it goes overcast like this I start sneezing my head off and get a headache behind the eyes. Please come back sunshine and blue sky.
Went to Pets at Home for guinea pig food and some other stuff this morning. I have tried them on Gerty and Wagg and they won't touch it, so have had to go back to the Pets at Home brand, it's all they have ever had, I just thought they may like something different. I also went to Argos to see about my camera, but the guy said he could send it back for repair for me, but would take about 28 days, and I explained about the card reader, and he reckoned it would be best to stick with that anyway, it's recommended to use one instead of the lead, he does with his. I have to say that it downloads the photos much quicker. So I brought it away with me again. Got a couple of bits in Tescos but couldn't buy too much as I had to park miles away, that bloody car park there, I shall be so glad when the new one is open in November, we may have a chance of actually getting into and then out of the Tesco car park without queueing for half an hour.
Took Emma to the park at Llandysul, and took some pictures of the river, the water is so low, you could walk across to the other side easily. I should imagine it is about the level it was centuries ago now, as when I read up about the history of the place once, it mentions about the Civil war and the troops crossing the river on foot.
Before I end, I must mention the hassle I have had with TalkTalk/Carphone Warehouse/British Gas. I mentioned last week that I had been talked into signing up to change my power supply and also the phone from BT to the above. Well I changed my mind, okay the first month's line rental is free. After that it is more expensive than the Option 1 I am on with BT. The calls are free but only to other Talk Talk customers, and I don't know any, and they charge you to use 1571, and caller display, which is free with BT. I rang them this morning and had to hold on 21 sodding minutes before I could speak to someone! And the final straw this morning was I received a letter dated 13th July, saying that they had tried to take money from my bank account by direct debit, but that the bank had told them that the d/d had been cancelled, and that now my account was overdrawn! Well, I nearly spat out my branflakes when I read that. Because they don't even have my bank details! They have no idea who I bank with, or my account number, so it must have been a miracle then, they must have just guessed! Thank Christ I didn't give them to the salesman when I got collared outside Morrisons. How bloody inefficient is that? My transfer to them was due on the 24th, they were already trying to take money for a service that I wasn't even 100% certain of taking up, from a bank account that they didn't have details of. If that wasn't a bloody good reason to cancel, then I don't know what is. I wouldn't touch them now with a bargepole. Oh yes, of course the carrot they dangled was Free Broadband for Life. Read the smallprint, conditions apply! Of course they bloody do. Just not worth the hassle to save about £3, no ta. I must try to be less of a salesperson's dream. I just hate to be rude to them when they are doing their jobs, I just get talked into anything far too easily. Mental note : Must learn to say NO!




The swallows were still okay Pauline, mum or dad were sitting on the nest when I checked.
Came home a bit earlier and cut the grass, put some washing out, which did the trick - we had some rain at 8 oclock, I was going to leave it out all night as I only got it on the line about 6 oclock, but that put paid to that. Luckily it was virtually all dry anyway.
I was so tired last night, not had much sleep the night before, had an early night. I didn't even switch the tv on at all, just had a quick browse on the pc, of course didn't get to sit down till about 9.30 as usual by the time I'd done all my jobs. I had an even worse night last night, I woke up at least three times dripping with sweat, it's the hottest night I've ever felt here I think.
Today has been grey and greyer. It was supposed to clear this afternoon but shows no signs of doing so. As soon as it goes overcast like this I start sneezing my head off and get a headache behind the eyes. Please come back sunshine and blue sky.
Went to Pets at Home for guinea pig food and some other stuff this morning. I have tried them on Gerty and Wagg and they won't touch it, so have had to go back to the Pets at Home brand, it's all they have ever had, I just thought they may like something different. I also went to Argos to see about my camera, but the guy said he could send it back for repair for me, but would take about 28 days, and I explained about the card reader, and he reckoned it would be best to stick with that anyway, it's recommended to use one instead of the lead, he does with his. I have to say that it downloads the photos much quicker. So I brought it away with me again. Got a couple of bits in Tescos but couldn't buy too much as I had to park miles away, that bloody car park there, I shall be so glad when the new one is open in November, we may have a chance of actually getting into and then out of the Tesco car park without queueing for half an hour.
Took Emma to the park at Llandysul, and took some pictures of the river, the water is so low, you could walk across to the other side easily. I should imagine it is about the level it was centuries ago now, as when I read up about the history of the place once, it mentions about the Civil war and the troops crossing the river on foot.
Before I end, I must mention the hassle I have had with TalkTalk/Carphone Warehouse/British Gas. I mentioned last week that I had been talked into signing up to change my power supply and also the phone from BT to the above. Well I changed my mind, okay the first month's line rental is free. After that it is more expensive than the Option 1 I am on with BT. The calls are free but only to other Talk Talk customers, and I don't know any, and they charge you to use 1571, and caller display, which is free with BT. I rang them this morning and had to hold on 21 sodding minutes before I could speak to someone! And the final straw this morning was I received a letter dated 13th July, saying that they had tried to take money from my bank account by direct debit, but that the bank had told them that the d/d had been cancelled, and that now my account was overdrawn! Well, I nearly spat out my branflakes when I read that. Because they don't even have my bank details! They have no idea who I bank with, or my account number, so it must have been a miracle then, they must have just guessed! Thank Christ I didn't give them to the salesman when I got collared outside Morrisons. How bloody inefficient is that? My transfer to them was due on the 24th, they were already trying to take money for a service that I wasn't even 100% certain of taking up, from a bank account that they didn't have details of. If that wasn't a bloody good reason to cancel, then I don't know what is. I wouldn't touch them now with a bargepole. Oh yes, of course the carrot they dangled was Free Broadband for Life. Read the smallprint, conditions apply! Of course they bloody do. Just not worth the hassle to save about £3, no ta. I must try to be less of a salesperson's dream. I just hate to be rude to them when they are doing their jobs, I just get talked into anything far too easily. Mental note : Must learn to say NO!




Comments:
<< Home
I have people knock the door all the time Jan, saying change to us electric cheaper, then gas will be cheaper, people say they r from bt, Im with bt so I listen and find out their nothing to do with them, its just a con to get your attention, so I say no to everything, I don t know if I m losing out or not, but I ve heard of so many people getting a load of hassle, its best to leave it as it is.
Glad the swallows are doing ok, So what is the difference between swallows and swifts Jan, thought they were the same lol
Glad the swallows are doing ok, So what is the difference between swallows and swifts Jan, thought they were the same lol
Nooooooooo! Swallows are smaller, have redish faces, and arrive anytime from March and stay till Spetember. Swifts are bigger, black, and don't come till about May and leave in August. Swifts also never land except when they are breeding, how amazing is that. They fly all their lives. If they land on the ground, they can't take off again. They also hunt much higher in the sky normally, and they form little screaming fly-bys, you must have heard them overhead going weeee weeee weeeee, usually a largish group, and they fly so fast. Swallows are altogether more laid back, and swoop over fields low down catching insects. Swallow - http://www.oswild.org/birds/swallow.jpg Swift - http://www.rspb.org.uk/Images/swift_tcm3-22262.jpg :o)
Here's a better idea if you are interested to know Pauline, the RSPB page click on this http://www.rspb.org.uk/birds/guide/s/swift/index.asp That is the swift, then scroll down to Swallow, I love these birds, I think its fantastic that they travel all those thousands of miles each year and return to the place they were born.
Thanks Jan, I ll go and have a look, I think I may have swallows here in town from what you discribe, they seem to fly low down, I think these birds are finding it hard to find nesting places, nobody wants their mess on their property these days, When I was growing up on the farm, we had loads in the barns, I used to love watching them.
Yes, can see they are different, the swallow has a longer fork in its tail, will try and spot that tomorrow on the ones that fly around here.
Fancy the swifts never land, yes come to think of it I have heard that sound,learn something new everyday.
Fancy the swifts never land, yes come to think of it I have heard that sound,learn something new everyday.
Ah well the ones around the towns are probably house martins, just to confuse you! They make nests on the outside of buildings in the eaves, sadly few and far between now that everyone has the plastic fascias on their houses. Swallows make nests on ledges in buildings (or on light switches, lol!) so its mainly the house martins that make the mess that people don't want. Our local chapel nailed black bin bags all down the front of their place a couple of years ago to stop house martins making nests, very christian of them I'm sure! What looks worse I wonder, especially as the poos wouldn't even show down the front of the white building. There's only ever one pair of swallows here, nowhere for them to nest I suppose, all the old barns are being converted into houses now.
Yes, its sad when you think of it, people won t put up with anything, it all has to be neat and tidy, no room for birds nests that might make a mess.
My neighbour of a few years ago had the window cleaner and was pointing at her wall,he d gone to get his ladder, and she told me a bird was going in there and he was going to block it, I said the bird won t do any harm, and she said it will make droppings on the wall, so another bird with no nest.
Fancy the chapel putting up bin bags to stop them nesting,what a thing to do.
My neighbour of a few years ago had the window cleaner and was pointing at her wall,he d gone to get his ladder, and she told me a bird was going in there and he was going to block it, I said the bird won t do any harm, and she said it will make droppings on the wall, so another bird with no nest.
Fancy the chapel putting up bin bags to stop them nesting,what a thing to do.
Yes, it is such a shame that people are not more tolerant of these poor birds. My neighbour, fortunately, is and has two house maring nests every year. They don't seem to leave a mess at all. I do know of other neighbours who put up aluminium foil under their eaves in an attempt to stop them from nesting. I don't put up anything and my house points the same way as my neighbours, but I don't get any!!!
Post a Comment
<< Home
