25 August 2006
Oh No
I have a poorly baby hedgehog. :o( To cut long boring stories short, I have now set up a second webcam to monitor the feeding of both the front and back feeding areas, from which I have deduced that there are five hogs. I have the two small ones, two medium ones, and one big one. Yesterday, I was also thrilled to open Snuffles' old box to find two hogs snuggled up together inside, awww. I thought these were the medium ones, as they measured 10 inches in size. I marked these with tippex on the shoulder spines, one Left, one Right. Last night, I had four hogs visible at the same time on both cams, two front, two back, then one front, three back. The one left at the front didn't look right, very wobbly. I went to check, and it was Left, full of snorting, snuffling and running nose, sneezing. I got a towel and picked him up (oh yes and I have now felt my first hog "willy" he's definitely a boy!) He was fairly happy to sit on my lap in the living room and let me stroke his little head, and his spines. Didn't attempt to curl up, which I think isn't a good sign. He only flinches if you make a sudden jab at him. Anyway, I set him up for the night in a cat carry box with a heat pad that I had from when Snuffles was ill last year, and left him in the kitchen with water, a dish of cat food and a dish of dry food.
I've had a terrible night, must've woken up about 6 times, got up for the loo twice. Anyway, he's okay, still snuffling, but has knocked the water over, has eaten the cat food, can't see if he's eaten the other stuff, it's disappeared under the bedding. Because of the heatpad he is up off the floor of the box anyway with his towels and shredded paper, so I am leaving him for a while. I've had to put him in the bath in his box at the moment as I have washing going and didn't want to frighten him too much. I've opened up the email that I got from Tiggywinkles to see what treatment is needed, but maybe it won't need to be as drastic as it was for him, poor thing. Maybe just go for the antibiotics, it may just be a chill and not because of worms, will have to see what they think, but frankly I think I know more about the subject than they do! When I checked the two of them in the box yesterday and photographed them, he didn't appear to have any breathing problems then, I'm sure I would have noticed, I had the lid open several times, for several minutes, so I hope it was just something that came on last night. I've got to clean the box out so will see if there's any sign of worms in the poo (if he's done any)
I was going to Cardigan today to Tesco for a change, but not sure if I will bother now, I really ought to stop here and get some work done here, everywhere is filthy and the grass is about 8 inches high again, no rain yesterday so it should be dry enough. Sun is out already, but they do forecast rain so not sure. Probably will as I decided I can't possibly go any longer without doing some washing, it must be over a fortnight now and the linen bin is overflowing.
Just checked the outside temperature, it dropped to 5c on the wall by the back door last night, so it would have been colder out in the main garden, condensation on the inside of the windows last night too, huh, so much for the summer then. It's bloody freezing already. Hogs will be thinking of hibernating early if we have much of that, they didn't till late October last year, and the year before that, Snuffles was still coming the first week in December for the food!
Well best get on with my day now, I will post a couple of pics on here later, but I'm on my old pc doing this and the photos are on the new one, oh so complicated!
I've had a terrible night, must've woken up about 6 times, got up for the loo twice. Anyway, he's okay, still snuffling, but has knocked the water over, has eaten the cat food, can't see if he's eaten the other stuff, it's disappeared under the bedding. Because of the heatpad he is up off the floor of the box anyway with his towels and shredded paper, so I am leaving him for a while. I've had to put him in the bath in his box at the moment as I have washing going and didn't want to frighten him too much. I've opened up the email that I got from Tiggywinkles to see what treatment is needed, but maybe it won't need to be as drastic as it was for him, poor thing. Maybe just go for the antibiotics, it may just be a chill and not because of worms, will have to see what they think, but frankly I think I know more about the subject than they do! When I checked the two of them in the box yesterday and photographed them, he didn't appear to have any breathing problems then, I'm sure I would have noticed, I had the lid open several times, for several minutes, so I hope it was just something that came on last night. I've got to clean the box out so will see if there's any sign of worms in the poo (if he's done any)
I was going to Cardigan today to Tesco for a change, but not sure if I will bother now, I really ought to stop here and get some work done here, everywhere is filthy and the grass is about 8 inches high again, no rain yesterday so it should be dry enough. Sun is out already, but they do forecast rain so not sure. Probably will as I decided I can't possibly go any longer without doing some washing, it must be over a fortnight now and the linen bin is overflowing.
Just checked the outside temperature, it dropped to 5c on the wall by the back door last night, so it would have been colder out in the main garden, condensation on the inside of the windows last night too, huh, so much for the summer then. It's bloody freezing already. Hogs will be thinking of hibernating early if we have much of that, they didn't till late October last year, and the year before that, Snuffles was still coming the first week in December for the food!
Well best get on with my day now, I will post a couple of pics on here later, but I'm on my old pc doing this and the photos are on the new one, oh so complicated!
Comments:
<< Home
Your doing really well with your hogs Jan, got so many coming now, maybe this sick one just needs a warm box for a few days, anyway your good at looking after them, he s in good hands.
Post a Comment
<< Home
