10 August 2006

Poor Lizzy

I am feeling a bit sad tonight, so I won't be posting about my day for a change, not that I've done anything much, but thought this deserved its own special post.

I came home from Pat's around 5 pm tonight and couldn't get to park outside my bungalow because there was an ambulance outside. My stomach turned. The last time an ambulance was parked outside my house (not this one, but where mum lives) it was because my dad was laying dead inside. 22 years on, I still have that awful shudder when I see one. Anyhow, as I decided where else to park with a view to walking up to the door, the ambulance guys came out with my next door but one neighbour, Lizzy, and loaded her in. Her daughter came out (she lives in another house in the village) and apparently the poor old girl had fallen over in the garden, and had been laying there calling for help and nobody heard her. She then managed to crawl indoors and use the phone. They think she's broken the top bit of her arm, and she has smashed all her face from the fall. I can't help but wonder if I had been home, would I have heard her? There's every chance because I am in and out the back all the time doing the bird feeders. The weather here this afternoon was awful too, raining and cold.

It has made me want to cry. Now I hardly know her, but she is such a lovely, smiley old lady, I guess she must be around 80 maybe. She lives for her garden, and has lots of lovely flowers and shrubs, and tends and fusses them. We always smile and say hello to each other, and exchange Christmas cards, and maybe have had about two conversations since I've lived here, but that's the sort of neighbours we are round here.

I've often said if I were to have a fall here, the same thing would probably happen to me, nobody would hear me or even see me. I keep meaning to always take my phone outside in my pocket, but never seem to do it.

Lizzy is lucky that her daughter lives in a house close by. What's really hit me is that Lizzy is very much like my mum. Same age, lives for her garden. Unfortunately, I live 230 miles away from her.

Get well soon Lizzy. :(

Comments:
Oh poor Lizzy, what a shock to come home to Jan, and like you say it reminds you of your dad, hope Lizzy gets better soon.
 
So do I, it is at times like this that we realise how vulnerable our parents can be.
 
poor lizzy
 
I hope Lizzy recovers soon, I have an elderly neighbour, he is 87 and also loves his garden. Three weeks ago he re-felted his shed roof, he wanted nor needed to be honest, any help but I was mighty relieved when he had finished.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

adopt your own virtual pet!
adopt your own virtual pet!
adopt your own virtual pet!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++