09 September 2006
Anyone want any tomatoes?
OMG, I have virtually watched about 50 tomatoes ripen before my very eyes today. I have had 19 plants on the go this summer, only three in the greenhouse, the rest outside in pots in various parts of the garden. Each plant has hardly produced many tomatoes, although I have had quite a few. They are called Sweet One Million, mum sent me the packet of seeds up. Now I prefer Sweet 100, but we had a disaster with them last year so thought we'd try these. Well, not impressed really, although 19 out of 20 seeds produced a plant, whereas last year, I had 4 plants from about 30 seeds. Anyhow, these have been mainly green, and lots have fallen off, the plants are dying out now, I picked a lot yesterday in half done mode to try and lighten the load, and I have had lots on my kitchen windowsill ripening this past week or so. Now I have a zillion tomatoes. They are the small cherry ones, and frankly, I don't know why I bother, it's nice I suppose to grow your own, but I honestly prefer the little teeny weeny ones you can get from Lidls, the Spanish ones, the Dutch ones are horrible. You can tell I am an expert tomato eater. Shouldn't really eat them either, they are murder for arthritis, but it looks like I may be on salad for a while! The guinea pigs have a couple a day, maybe they will get an increase too.
Anyway, what else today - well took Ryan to the vets, they tell me to come at 11 am on a Saturday, as its always busy, and the surgery should be all over and finished. Not today, there were four still waiting. I didn't get seen till 11.40. A vet I'd not seen before although I think she's been there a while, seen the name on the door anyway. The other vet came in too to take a look, neither of them had been that close to a hedgehog before. They were most impressed with my knowledge, and I showed them Ryan's little fangs, they didn't know they had teeth like that either!
On the way back, I saw a very sad thing. There was a hoglet at the side of the road, about half a mile out of the village. Didn't look dead, looked as if it was about to walk out into the road. I carried on a way, and turned round and went back, but sadly it was dead. A tiny little hog. Only injuries on it were a little bit of blood on the sole of its little feet, and his left eye had been knocked out. Tiny, tiny little undeveloped teeth, no fangs like Ryan. I brought him home and buried him. Poor little bugger. Made me cry.
After that I put the guinea pigs out in the pen in the back garden, their first trip to the lawn for a few weeks, what a change from last Saturday too, when we were lashed with gales and rain. It was a bit breezy earlier, but the wind dropped this afternoon, and it's been glorious and baking hot again. Cleaned out their cage, and then took Emma for a walk, just round the village, I couldn't be bothered to get in the car again today. There's a bit of rough ground across the road, and a couple of footpaths leading so we can do a circular walk really, takes about 45 mins so plenty of exercise, and she gets to do about a third of it off the lead. Downside - no water. She nearly managed to get in a muddy puddle though, just saw it in time.
Came back, and I cleaned the car! Don't faint. I actually got a bucket and sponge and warm soapy water, and a toothbrush (to get the green out of the black trim, I hate that, sort of mossy stuff) I normally only go through Morrisons car wash. Can't remember the last time I cleaned it by hand, must be near on a year! Car washes are all well and good, but they don't get to the bits underneath, or the green mossy bits, or the cow shit that is splattered all along the sills. Lovely job. Anyhow, I finally got the t-cut out too and got off the red paint mark from my rear door when some pleb smashed their car door against it. That's been there for about 6 months too. If it's nice tomorrow, I am going to put a coat of polish on it for the winter, I did it about this time last year, the paintwork on the roof in particular is very dull. I want to cherish this car for as long as possible. It's 11 years old now (M-reg) and not a speck of rust. At least the French can do something right. ;)



Anyway, what else today - well took Ryan to the vets, they tell me to come at 11 am on a Saturday, as its always busy, and the surgery should be all over and finished. Not today, there were four still waiting. I didn't get seen till 11.40. A vet I'd not seen before although I think she's been there a while, seen the name on the door anyway. The other vet came in too to take a look, neither of them had been that close to a hedgehog before. They were most impressed with my knowledge, and I showed them Ryan's little fangs, they didn't know they had teeth like that either!
On the way back, I saw a very sad thing. There was a hoglet at the side of the road, about half a mile out of the village. Didn't look dead, looked as if it was about to walk out into the road. I carried on a way, and turned round and went back, but sadly it was dead. A tiny little hog. Only injuries on it were a little bit of blood on the sole of its little feet, and his left eye had been knocked out. Tiny, tiny little undeveloped teeth, no fangs like Ryan. I brought him home and buried him. Poor little bugger. Made me cry.
After that I put the guinea pigs out in the pen in the back garden, their first trip to the lawn for a few weeks, what a change from last Saturday too, when we were lashed with gales and rain. It was a bit breezy earlier, but the wind dropped this afternoon, and it's been glorious and baking hot again. Cleaned out their cage, and then took Emma for a walk, just round the village, I couldn't be bothered to get in the car again today. There's a bit of rough ground across the road, and a couple of footpaths leading so we can do a circular walk really, takes about 45 mins so plenty of exercise, and she gets to do about a third of it off the lead. Downside - no water. She nearly managed to get in a muddy puddle though, just saw it in time.
Came back, and I cleaned the car! Don't faint. I actually got a bucket and sponge and warm soapy water, and a toothbrush (to get the green out of the black trim, I hate that, sort of mossy stuff) I normally only go through Morrisons car wash. Can't remember the last time I cleaned it by hand, must be near on a year! Car washes are all well and good, but they don't get to the bits underneath, or the green mossy bits, or the cow shit that is splattered all along the sills. Lovely job. Anyhow, I finally got the t-cut out too and got off the red paint mark from my rear door when some pleb smashed their car door against it. That's been there for about 6 months too. If it's nice tomorrow, I am going to put a coat of polish on it for the winter, I did it about this time last year, the paintwork on the roof in particular is very dull. I want to cherish this car for as long as possible. It's 11 years old now (M-reg) and not a speck of rust. At least the French can do something right. ;)



Comments:
<< Home
Your car looks nice and clean Jan, I m the same with the car lol, give it a wash and polish for winter, hav nt done it yet, but had an offer, friend of Justins said he would do it for £20, mines m reg too.
I ve given up trying to grow veg, I used to grow runner beans, but they would be covered in black fly, so don't bother now.
Post a Comment
I ve given up trying to grow veg, I used to grow runner beans, but they would be covered in black fly, so don't bother now.
<< Home
