13 September 2006
Hog news
Not so good news about Ryan. After my blog this morning, I went to check him first thing like I always do to see if he's eaten all his food, and there was an awful lot of blood in the cage. So I sent an email to St Tiggywinkles explaining everything. It asks you not to phone them unless it's an emergency, so I didn't think it would be classed as such, seeing as it had happened before, and I have him for another couple of weeks yet, and he seems otherwise okay.
Anyway when I took him to the vets I showed Lowry the piece of newspaper and we discussed the course of action. She felt that maybe we should try some different antibiotics as they may not be agreeing with him. Whilst he was in the carry box and we were chatting, he did another lot of wee, and it was about 75% blood. :(
Also that morning, they had another poor hog brought in to them which looked like it has broken its leg. It is smaller and younger than Ryan, and she asked me what the likelihood of it's survival would be etc and what could be done, as it had curled up so tightly they couldn't examine it. Gave as much info as I could, and said that it would probably only come out to eat after dark. If they had a problem I would have it here with Ryan to see how it gets on. Anyway, she said she would phone Tiggys and see what advice she could get about both Ryan and the new one, and would let me know. I said I'd call in later as I was out for the day.
Stopped by about 4 oclock, and she said that Tiggywinkles lady hadn't been very helpful, and said not to give Ryan any more antibiotics, and to give him lots of fluids under the skin, equivalent to 10% of his bodyweight, everyday! Lowry worked this out to be 100ml of water, which is a hell of a lot. Neither of us were happy about injecting this amount into the poor little thing, so she has said see if I get any other suggestions in reply to my email.
Regarding the other little hoglet, they said they would try to mend the leg at the hospital or amputate. If amputation was needed, then the hog could not ever be returned to the wild. Lowry said if that happened if they couldn't find a permanent safe home they would have to euthanise it. :(
Anyway when I took him to the vets I showed Lowry the piece of newspaper and we discussed the course of action. She felt that maybe we should try some different antibiotics as they may not be agreeing with him. Whilst he was in the carry box and we were chatting, he did another lot of wee, and it was about 75% blood. :(
Also that morning, they had another poor hog brought in to them which looked like it has broken its leg. It is smaller and younger than Ryan, and she asked me what the likelihood of it's survival would be etc and what could be done, as it had curled up so tightly they couldn't examine it. Gave as much info as I could, and said that it would probably only come out to eat after dark. If they had a problem I would have it here with Ryan to see how it gets on. Anyway, she said she would phone Tiggys and see what advice she could get about both Ryan and the new one, and would let me know. I said I'd call in later as I was out for the day.
Stopped by about 4 oclock, and she said that Tiggywinkles lady hadn't been very helpful, and said not to give Ryan any more antibiotics, and to give him lots of fluids under the skin, equivalent to 10% of his bodyweight, everyday! Lowry worked this out to be 100ml of water, which is a hell of a lot. Neither of us were happy about injecting this amount into the poor little thing, so she has said see if I get any other suggestions in reply to my email.
Regarding the other little hoglet, they said they would try to mend the leg at the hospital or amputate. If amputation was needed, then the hog could not ever be returned to the wild. Lowry said if that happened if they couldn't find a permanent safe home they would have to euthanise it. :(
Comments:
<< Home
Oh Jan, you must be so upset. My heart wrenched when I read your blog. I do hope things work out well for both little hogs.
Post a Comment
<< Home
