18 September 2006
Hog Update
Just a quick update before I start on the evening feeds, my friend has been here all day and haven't had a chance to do much.
Okay the news was that Ryan passed lots more blood again on Saturday night, so I did the water injections again yesterday, poor little devil. I hate doing it, it hurts him, and I can't honestly see that it will do a lot of good, but will have to see how he goes. Otherwise, his sniffly nose seemed to be a lot better last night. He is lively, and eating well. I have to take him back to the vets tomorrow for the next injection.
News not so good on Max. I have managed to have a good feel of his bad leg the past two nights. It is either broken or dislocated. It does however have some movement, he can curl it up under him, but it doesn't appear to have any feeling around the foot, slightly warm though, and doesn't seem to be getting in his way. I have a notion that this has been like it for a long time, because his other leg seems to be slightly twisted at a funny angle, as if he's adapted his walking by placing his one good leg in the middle of his back. Hard to explain. Maybe he has been like this since being tiny. The bad news is that he won't eat anything. Last night I had the dish right in front of his face, and he was sniffing the food, and even walked across the dish, but was not in the slightest bit interested in eating any of it. He deliberately turned away everytime I put it in front of him, or even a tiny piece of chicken, peanut, or cat meat.
Today I rang the hog rescue lady who is in the county. She has no further suggestions to make other than those already given to me ie try feeding with a syringe, so I am going to attempt this tonight. I called in the vets and told them today, although the vet I saw briefly to explain had no knowledge of the hog or the problem, but she is going to leave a note for the vet I see with Ryan and I have to ring first thing to see whether I have to take Max too tomorrow. I don't want to take him and stress him for nothing if they don't think there's any treatment, Marie is going to see about what pain killers. I've bought some chicken and vegetable baby food to try and feed him tonight. He didn't touch any of his food at all last night, nor the night before. Mary at the hog rescue didn't suggest having him over there either, so I will just have to muddle through best I can, she can't do anymore than I can, says I am feeding the same stuff she would. I'm finding it hard to cope with the amount of soaking wet towels I am getting through, especially now the weather has changed, not going to be able to get them dry before I run out - weather is horrendous today, gales and rain, bloody awful, not good for the rest of the week either. I've found an old blanket in the shed though, so I may be able to cut that up into piece if it comes to it.
Well thats about it really, just stick to the hogs today, not done a lot else anyway only the usual stuff since my last entry.


Okay the news was that Ryan passed lots more blood again on Saturday night, so I did the water injections again yesterday, poor little devil. I hate doing it, it hurts him, and I can't honestly see that it will do a lot of good, but will have to see how he goes. Otherwise, his sniffly nose seemed to be a lot better last night. He is lively, and eating well. I have to take him back to the vets tomorrow for the next injection.
News not so good on Max. I have managed to have a good feel of his bad leg the past two nights. It is either broken or dislocated. It does however have some movement, he can curl it up under him, but it doesn't appear to have any feeling around the foot, slightly warm though, and doesn't seem to be getting in his way. I have a notion that this has been like it for a long time, because his other leg seems to be slightly twisted at a funny angle, as if he's adapted his walking by placing his one good leg in the middle of his back. Hard to explain. Maybe he has been like this since being tiny. The bad news is that he won't eat anything. Last night I had the dish right in front of his face, and he was sniffing the food, and even walked across the dish, but was not in the slightest bit interested in eating any of it. He deliberately turned away everytime I put it in front of him, or even a tiny piece of chicken, peanut, or cat meat.
Today I rang the hog rescue lady who is in the county. She has no further suggestions to make other than those already given to me ie try feeding with a syringe, so I am going to attempt this tonight. I called in the vets and told them today, although the vet I saw briefly to explain had no knowledge of the hog or the problem, but she is going to leave a note for the vet I see with Ryan and I have to ring first thing to see whether I have to take Max too tomorrow. I don't want to take him and stress him for nothing if they don't think there's any treatment, Marie is going to see about what pain killers. I've bought some chicken and vegetable baby food to try and feed him tonight. He didn't touch any of his food at all last night, nor the night before. Mary at the hog rescue didn't suggest having him over there either, so I will just have to muddle through best I can, she can't do anymore than I can, says I am feeding the same stuff she would. I'm finding it hard to cope with the amount of soaking wet towels I am getting through, especially now the weather has changed, not going to be able to get them dry before I run out - weather is horrendous today, gales and rain, bloody awful, not good for the rest of the week either. I've found an old blanket in the shed though, so I may be able to cut that up into piece if it comes to it.
Well thats about it really, just stick to the hogs today, not done a lot else anyway only the usual stuff since my last entry.


Comments:
<< Home
Oh poor Jan, you have your hands full with two sick hogs, my giant lop had a disslocated hip, vet could nt do anything, said it would kill him, so used heat treatment and pain killers, and rubbing his back, took six months before he started moving, but he s fine now, can run and jump when he wants to, but you can see the difference in his back feet, uses one more than the other.
Lovely pictures, ar nt they lovely.
Post a Comment
Lovely pictures, ar nt they lovely.
<< Home
