08 September 2006

It's September - summer's returned, and Wales is shut for the winter!

Beautiful day today. I thought I deserved a day off and a treat after my exertions of yesterday. Thought beach. Thought where though, still a lot of dog ban beaches until 30th of the month. Fancied lunch out, sitting in the sun, watching the sea, nothing fancy, just a roll, cake and a coffee maybe. Cwm Tudu (pronounced "coom tiddy" if you are remotely interested) Off we toddled. I need to buy peanuts too, so thought I'd get them on the way back.

Arrived just in time for lunch, tide right out too, which makes a change. It's such a small cove, there isn't much to walk on if the tide is up. The front parking area by the beach was full up, people everywhere. Drove round to the back car park. One of them was roped off, closed. Damn, the other one is a £1. Now I don't mind that for a day out, but when you're only gonna be there under an hour, I prefer not to. Anyway, thought oh to hell with it. You pay at the take-away, which is where I was headed for lunch. They have three tables outside, and I can sit there with Emma. Walked down. Shut! No way, it's still holiday time. This is the very same cafe that I went to earlier in the year on a similar day, and it wasn't open until Easter. How the hell do they make a living? Open for 5 months a year, in a tiny, tiny little cove, where probably 50% of the visitors bring their own stuff? It's beyond me. Anyway, took Emma for a long walk, the beach was crap, even though the tide was out, it was covered in weird seaweed. Nearly slipped over on it, how embarrassing would that have been, about 50 pairs of eyeballs watching me, lol! So after Emma had her paddle, we went up the cliff path, and along and back out on the main road down and back to the car. There's another posher restaurant/tea room opposite where I'd parked, and a couple sitting outside. So I thought oh well, just get a cuppa and a cake or something. No, they were shut too, it was just the owner and his missus sunning themselves!

Decided to go to New Quay then, but I was determined not to have chips, I've been eating them far too much lately, the McDonalds variety. So I resisted the temptation, even though it's the best fish and chips in the world. I thought I'd go to the pub at the top of the hill, and sit outside in the beer garden with a sarnie. Parked up, walked back with Emma. Went into the garden, tied her up. Walked up to the door which leads into the bar, and there was a sign on the door "Closed for refurbishment" FFS! I bought a tuna baguette and a coffee from a takeaway down the road, at last somewhere was open that was selling food, and we went down onto the beach to eat. There was a family with the man (adult, 40-ish) having a tantrum. Nearly pissed myself laughing. He stomped off in a sulk and sat on a rock on his own, saying he was fed up with being treated like a child! Lol. He was with his wife (presumably) their child, and his mum and dad (judging from the looks of them, no wonder he was a bit strange!) Next I looked across and there was someone's dog bonking someone else's dog, and the owner of the dog underneath shouted across to the owner of the bad, bad dog something about keeping his bloody dog under control else he would get it! Oh you do see life when you are just hoping for a nice tranquil, pleasant lunch......

The tide was out a way. I finished the tuna (with Emma's help) and whilst I was drinking my coffee, which was still just under boiling point, I said to Emma "are you going down the water then?" With that, she trotted off down to the sea, which was a good 75 yards away I guess, and went in, had a splash round, and came trotting back. I could see lots of people watching her, and thinking awww bless, the same as me. She is such a good little dog.

They were doing something with the lifeboat and the launch vehicles in the town, couldnt make out what, just practice manoeuvres I think. Still it was something to watch whilst I ate my ice-cream! It was so clear there today, as you came down from the top of the hill, you could clearly see the windfarm at Aberystwyth, which is about 20 miles up the coast, and in the far distance, you could see Snowdonia, which is mega miles away.

Came back and got my washing in, and did the late feed. It seems so strange that the bushes are not full of birds when I do them now, there's this eerie silence, not because the hawk is here either. Already they have learned not to hang around all day, much more sensible. If I was normal, and went out to work, they would only get fed first thing, and then maybe again when I got home in the evening, not four times a day or more like I have been doing for a few years now. In winter, I guess lots of people who are out at work all day only get to feed once, as its dark before they get home. They soon appear as soon as I put some out though. It's working out pretty well. A jugful of wild bird seed and mixed corn in the morning, and again at teatime, plus a couple of handfuls of sunflower hearts each time. Thats about a quarter of what they were getting. Then my new metal feeder I am keeping topped up, but that only needs doing about every other day.

Oh well thats it then, time to do the tea again. Few pictures to put on too if this thing is working.












Comments:
looks glorious.......

that dog - aw!!
 
Wonderful pictures Jan. That Emma, what a doll. Got a great chuckle reading about your day.
 
We've been to Wales when it was closed too. Mind you, we've also been to Blackpool when it was closed - don't like it when it is open, hate it when it is closed, it is like a ghost town!

Gorgeous Emma, such a poseur!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

adopt your own virtual pet!
adopt your own virtual pet!
adopt your own virtual pet!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++