07 October 2006

Good News and Bad News

The good news is brief, Ryan came back last night. He appeared just after 10 pm and typically I had only put about half a dish of cat food out as he hadn't been for three nights, and I had thrown two lots away. He quickly ate that, so I rushed out with another dish and he stayed put and then ate most of that as well. He obviously returned after I had gone to bed to finish it off. He didn't return to his box though, he hadn't even looked in it, as when I cleaned it out I left some straw hanging down over the entrance inside which would get knocked down if anything went inside. He has obviously found somewhere else to sleep more to his liking. I am just so relieved he is okay though, and hope he will continue to come. As I am writing this now at 8.30pm there is a hog at the back feeding area eating the peanuts etc, but the camera is so crap in the dark round there, I can't really make out which one it is, and I don't want to go out and scare it off, it's the first time one has eaten from that dish too for three nights. I thought they'd all gone. Pretty sure it's not Ryan though, it looks like it has a nice black nose!

Now the bad news. Another of my cockatiels died today. Not unexpected at all though, has been on the cards all this week, but still didn't make it any easier and as usual I cried my eyes out as I held her poor little body. It was Primrose, my oldest hen, and the very first one I ever had when I started with birds in 1995. She was at least 15 years old, maybe more, because the guy that I bought her and her partner from was very vague about how old they were when I got them, I think she maybe a fair bit older than that. The poor thing has been very arthritic for a year or so, and I had watched her deteriorate this week, but as she was still feeding okay and was being looked after by both her original partner and the one who stole her I left her be. When I opened the shed this morning, she was dead, and was surrounded by some of the others. I now know that nothing got in the aviary and harmed my Twizzle when I found her dead. I watched as several of them started pulling at her feathers, and pecking her, so I guess that's what happened to Twiz after she was dead. At least that was somewhat of a relief to know that she didn't suffer before she died. The worst part is how the male partners mourn, it's bloody heartbreaking.

RIP Primrose














The other bad news is that I seem to have the bad trichomonias outbreak here again. I found another dead greenfinch under the hog feeding area this afternoon. When I put some food out onto the back lawn at teatime, about 10 housesparrows were down, and three of those were very fluffed up and ill. I got the stuff from the Birdcare Company yesterday, but it was pointless putting it in the drinking water whilst it has been peeing with rain, it would dilute it too much, but I have done it today in all my three drinkers. Just hope it does some good. My poor birds here, they don't stand a bloody chance, what with the disease, the hawk which is parked up in a tree permanently by the seems of it, and the sodding cat, it's a wonder there's any left at all. I swear I will do that cat harm if I get a chance. Yesterday, it jumped on my living room window sill whilst I was in here eating lunch, and lunged at the bird table, so at least I know now how it got knocked over the other day, and it then leapt up at the feeders which were on the Sky dish. By the time Emma and I got to the door, it was away under the fence, I think it may have got a greenfinch, but couldnt see. When I went out this morning, it had obviously jumped up on the fence to get at a bird, and had ripped all my trellis off which I put along the top for precisely that reason. It was laying in next door's garden. I'm not going to put up with it. My cat scarer obviously isn't working. I have now had to move the bird table and the feeders away from the window, and into the middle of the garden, so the birds have a further to journey to cover if the hawk comes. I am so sick of it. Not only is it determined to kill for the sake of it (it didn't eat the other bird I found it with) it is also spraying and pissing everywhere, all up my dustbin for one, and it stinks, and I found a pile of poo on the lawn too (and it wasn't Emmas) So mad. Grrrrrrrrrrrr.

Cheered myself up this afternoon by buying a new optical wireless mouse for my laptop (third time lucky, have bought two previously which I didn't like!) and some new clothes for lounging around in, two sweatshirts for £8 and a pair of joggers for a fiver! I know how to splash out, but I get a kick out of getting stuff at bargain prices, and basically I am a slob anyway!

Comments:
Sorry to read about Primrose, Jan :o( - and that damn cat! If only it's owners realised what a complete nuisance it is.

I read an article in out local rag last week ... it was something along the lines of "My £2,500 pedigree cat has vanised". I couldn't help having a little giggle at the woman who lets her expensive, "beloved" cat roam free.
 
Sorry to hear about primrose jan.


What about pepper in your garden, doesnt that put cats off? Do you know who the owner is?

Dont have too much problems with cats apart from at night with the hogs food, but then its minimal.
 
So sorry to hear about Primrose Jan, she was a good age, and had a happy home, but it still hurts.
I ve made it difficult for cats to get in my garden, but without covering the whole garden with netting wire, you will never really keep them out, you can never really enjoy wildlife as there is always something waiting to spoil it around the corner, we can only do our best to keep the birds safe.
 
So sorry to hear about Primrose. I know how it tears at the heart when these things happen. I'm glad that you have seen Ryan. He's been on my mind since you said he had left.
 
Yes, Jan. My thoughts are with you too. So pleased about Ryan though.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

adopt your own virtual pet!
adopt your own virtual pet!
adopt your own virtual pet!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++