01 October 2006

Saving Prickly Ryan....

Well today was the day I pencilled in to release little Ryan, so this morning, I moved his box over to the far side of the front garden, back to its original position, where I first saw him asleep with the other hog.

I guess I have saved him, he may not have survived without the medication he had so I should be thrilled to bits. So therefore, why did I sob for about half an hour? I lifted the lid of the box and said goodbye to him, and be lucky etc, and then the waterworks started. It's starting again now as I'm typing this. I guess it would be easier if Snuffles had returned, and then I would be full of hope for Ryan's safety. As it is, I feel like I may be sentencing him to death. I know he is a wild animal, and that's the chance you have to take with them. I also know that I could never been involved properly in wild animal rescue for that reason. I get too attached, and I am too sentimental, sensitive, daft, whatever you want to call it. Where he was in the porch, safely behind the barrier, he could have survived forever, plenty of food, nice nest, but it would be unfair I suppose. Like capturing a robin from the garden and sticking it in my aviary. Wrong. I've got so fond of him and now just think will he get run over, will a dog get him, will he find enough food.....

Oh well, it's done now, and I'm not putting all that stuff back. I just wish the weather was a bit better, lashing rain and gales, hopefully it may ease by tonight when he wakes up.

I cleared the porch and have set up a new covered feeding area with the webcam, cat and dog proof, and I took a practice capture with the model hog to make sure I was getting it in the right place! I won't be able to have the back door cam going but I want to see Ryan if he comes and know that he has found the porch again and his chicken.

I took a picture of my super newly re-laid patio slabs too from yesterday. A bit pissed off though because now the sand has got wet, some of them have sunk a bit already. I don't know what the answer is really, I suppose they need laying on a bed of quick setting concrete. I may buy a bag of that ready-mixed stuff you can get and sweep it down between the crevices. That may set enough to keep them level, and may also stop the seeds from sprouting all over it!

Maybe the last ever photo of Ryan.













The box back over by the wall













The new feeding area in the porch













The new feeding area with practice hoggy!













The patio from yesterday

Comments:
I don t wonder you don t want Ryan to go Jan, he s just soooo cute and snug in his box.
You v done a lovely job of the paving stones Jan, I don t like putting concrete down as I may want to move or change them, mine seem to stay where their put just on the soil,you v done very well to get all those done in a day,you v worked very hard.
 
Yes, well done Jan, it looks lovely!

Awww I bet you did shed buckets of tears, I know I would.
 
well done jan, he wouldnt have done it without you!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

adopt your own virtual pet!
adopt your own virtual pet!
adopt your own virtual pet!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++