10 October 2006
What a difference a day makes....
...for many reasons. Firstly, Emma has been fine and back to her normal self thank goodness, no more problems with the wee weeing. Still scratching a bit but not as much either, so it looks like my trip to see Damien will be off :(
Also the weather. It's been gorgeous, t-shirt weather again today, sat out the back with a coffee this morning and revelled in this gorgeous warmth. This evening at 6 oclock it was 15c, last night it was 4c! Amazing.
I went to Pat's this afternoon, and we took the dogs for the road walk, rather than the Dingles, as it would probably have been too muddy. Took a couple of pics because I've not done any of that bit before. She is so lucky to have such lovely walks surrounding her place, although I don't envy her the journey from there to civilisation. It takes about half an hour to Carmarthen, and a lot of it is very hairy. It's bad enough going over there from here, but I love the journey, the scenery on the way is magnificent. It's 18 miles, takes about half an hour, and I counted the vehicles I saw on the way home, at 5 oclock in the rush hour, I actually passed or saw 14 cars.
Up the lane we saw a really cool spider, I took a pic but with the Nokia, it was a bit blurry really, but if anyone knows what it may be....
Oh on the way there too, about 3 miles up the road, I had to slam on the brakes because a bird was in the road feeding and didn't seem in a hurry to fly off. It was a teeny weeny Goldcrest. Haven't seen one of them here for years.
What else for today? Oh yes, Ryan came last night, stayed for over an hour, and I went out to him to give him another dish of food as he ate the first one like he was starving. A bit later he seemed to be sleeping in the dish of dry food, was a bit concerned to went and looked but I think he was okay, had a bit of a drip on his nose, but not the awful snotty mucous he had before. He had a three week course of antibiotics then of course, so I don't think he needs any more treatment now. Snuffles last winter was still very snuffly and got through the hibernation okay. It looks like he may have looked in his box too, or something did, the straw I put in the doorway had been moved. Still hope he might start using it.
Another dead bird here tonight, saw it in the garden next door and got a bloke who came to remove the old girl's bin bag to hand it over. He was reluctant to touch it, and wanted something to pick it up with, what a wimp! I went and got him kitchen towel - just put in the bin along with the other two I've found this week, I can't be burying them all the time unfortunately. I had a reply back from the BTO more or less saying please don't stop feeding the birds as long as your areas and feeders are clean, else they will maybe just go elsewhere where it may not be clean. So I will cut back some more to make it easier to keep my stuff spic and span, and not stop entirely after all. It's still pretty soul destroying though, tonight I put a half jug of bird seed out on the table top feeder and the ground one, and lots of sparrows appeared instantly, and then so did the hawk. I don't know if it got anything, I saw it make two fly pasts this morning and miss. It's just sitting up there waiting for me to put the food out, so that it can catch its own. Consequently, by the time it was dark and I went up to shut up my aviary, none of the seed had been touched. It's a waste of time. Poor birds.
I'll have to upload some photos tomorrow, it wont work again despite using Firefox as they recommend all the time. Grrrrrrr.
Also the weather. It's been gorgeous, t-shirt weather again today, sat out the back with a coffee this morning and revelled in this gorgeous warmth. This evening at 6 oclock it was 15c, last night it was 4c! Amazing.
I went to Pat's this afternoon, and we took the dogs for the road walk, rather than the Dingles, as it would probably have been too muddy. Took a couple of pics because I've not done any of that bit before. She is so lucky to have such lovely walks surrounding her place, although I don't envy her the journey from there to civilisation. It takes about half an hour to Carmarthen, and a lot of it is very hairy. It's bad enough going over there from here, but I love the journey, the scenery on the way is magnificent. It's 18 miles, takes about half an hour, and I counted the vehicles I saw on the way home, at 5 oclock in the rush hour, I actually passed or saw 14 cars.
Up the lane we saw a really cool spider, I took a pic but with the Nokia, it was a bit blurry really, but if anyone knows what it may be....
Oh on the way there too, about 3 miles up the road, I had to slam on the brakes because a bird was in the road feeding and didn't seem in a hurry to fly off. It was a teeny weeny Goldcrest. Haven't seen one of them here for years.
What else for today? Oh yes, Ryan came last night, stayed for over an hour, and I went out to him to give him another dish of food as he ate the first one like he was starving. A bit later he seemed to be sleeping in the dish of dry food, was a bit concerned to went and looked but I think he was okay, had a bit of a drip on his nose, but not the awful snotty mucous he had before. He had a three week course of antibiotics then of course, so I don't think he needs any more treatment now. Snuffles last winter was still very snuffly and got through the hibernation okay. It looks like he may have looked in his box too, or something did, the straw I put in the doorway had been moved. Still hope he might start using it.
Another dead bird here tonight, saw it in the garden next door and got a bloke who came to remove the old girl's bin bag to hand it over. He was reluctant to touch it, and wanted something to pick it up with, what a wimp! I went and got him kitchen towel - just put in the bin along with the other two I've found this week, I can't be burying them all the time unfortunately. I had a reply back from the BTO more or less saying please don't stop feeding the birds as long as your areas and feeders are clean, else they will maybe just go elsewhere where it may not be clean. So I will cut back some more to make it easier to keep my stuff spic and span, and not stop entirely after all. It's still pretty soul destroying though, tonight I put a half jug of bird seed out on the table top feeder and the ground one, and lots of sparrows appeared instantly, and then so did the hawk. I don't know if it got anything, I saw it make two fly pasts this morning and miss. It's just sitting up there waiting for me to put the food out, so that it can catch its own. Consequently, by the time it was dark and I went up to shut up my aviary, none of the seed had been touched. It's a waste of time. Poor birds.
I'll have to upload some photos tomorrow, it wont work again despite using Firefox as they recommend all the time. Grrrrrrr.
Comments:
<< Home
So glad to hear that Emma is OK. Sounds like we are having similar temperatures at this time of year.
Post a Comment
<< Home
